Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever drawn their rig in CAD or???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by IGOR, Oct 4, 2001.

1. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Am I the only one who has thought about doing this? I know there are other engineers (or people with access to drafting programs) on here - have any of you drawn your rig to scale on your computer to design roll cages, bumpers, etc...?

I want to know, so I can forgo measuring out my whole rig with a tape!!!

2. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I found a guy on the net doing a short box chevy once a while back, but haven't been able to locate the site since. I'll renew my efforts, it would be nice to have.

I'll let you know if I find anything.

John

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Yah I have drawn parts...... I've done it in AutoCAD and in Solidworks....I had it on a zip disk and haven't seen it lately.....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

4. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

I have thought of doing it in Solidworks but have not set aside the time.

Once I get into replacing some sheet metal maybe I will think it through.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith
    Manchester, MI

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have thought about doing it in SolidWorks but haven't had the time. I would like to mock up the frame to play with putting in longer springs.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey if you do it (assuming you do it on a '73-91 style) send it to me..........I have AutoCAD but no motivation to learn how to do the deed [​IMG].

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. IGOR

It would be cool - but man what an undertaking!!

I can just imagine it - each individual part on a different layer - the drivetrain on one - then the frame - each body part - interior, brake lines, gas lines - then the whole engine (insert evil laughter here!)

Someone could make some money doing this - but our trucks are so curvaceous - it would be tough to get all the curves correct

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Whatever that is, it sounds cool. I've heard people talk about this before but don't know what it is. Could you please tell me what CAD is?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Computer Assisted Drafting...I'm in the same boat as Frank (BlazzinOR) I have AutoCAD 2000 but I have no clue how to use it.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Autocadd is real cool but you need to know what you're doing to do something like that ! I've toyed around with it in the past but not enough time to really dig into it.........it's amazing what can be done however !!

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

11. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

AutoCAD is ok....But solidwork is where it's at...... I 've done the side, front &amp; back in ACAD 2000. My bumpers I've done in Solidworks 98...Some time I want to do everything in Solidwork Part by Part.....Mucho time to do it.....

I cann't wait to get my new computer so I can install Auto CAD 2000, Solidwork 2001 and Pro E all on one system....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've got a 75 style K5 modeled and skined in Lightwave objects here somewhere. I'll have to dig thru the archive but If I find it, I can export it into a SolidWorks compatible format or 3D Studio.

"Hi, I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I said, "You wish! HAHAHAH" the phone replied!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

13. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I'd like to see what you've done , micheal.

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'd love to take credit for it but it was a professionally built model. I used to be a videographer and animator for a production company here in San Diego focused on court presentations. We had to have the Lightwave models certified exact before we could use them in animations depicting accident scenes and such. I wish I could remember the name of the company we ordered it from, they had a demo site on the web where you could view the models before you purchased/downloaded them.

"I'm looking for a Dana60 Front Axle.." I asked, "You wish! HAHA" the wrecker replied! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

15. IGOR

That would be sweet if you could get access to it - (and then get access for me as well!!)

Let us know!

16. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

I have Solidworks and am fairly proficient. If someone has some sketches, I could mang out some solids real easy. Start going into an assembly as well. We even got Photoworks and the Toolbox hardware package here at work, so I could add in all the correct nuts and bolts and then render the thing on a dirt pile or something. Send me off-list what anyone might have.

checca@alum.wpi.edu

--------------------------
    Keith C
    Bigbird '00 Jeep TJ
    Grandpa's '77 Blazer

17. kchecca

kchecca Registered Member

I have Solidworks and am fairly proficient. If someone has some sketches, I could bang out some solids real easy. Start going into an assembly as well. We even got Photoworks and the Toolbox hardware package here at work, so I could add in all the correct nuts and bolts and then render the thing on a dirt pile or something. Send me off-list what anyone might have.

checca@alum.wpi.edu

--------------------------
    Keith C
    Bigbird '00 Jeep TJ
    Grandpa's '77 Blazer

18. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Any of you engineers ever hear of Ansys and/or DesignSpace? They're kick-ass Finite Element Analysis software packages that my company develops (Ansys, Inc). Our stuff has been used on everything from kids toys to NASA redisigns after the Challenger explosion to the recovery of the Hunley (civil war sub). I'd like to eventually use it to design things like rock sliders and axle trusses. If anyone comes up with full or partial SolidWorks (or whatever other kind) model, I'd like to import it into one of our programs to do some "real world"-type testing.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

19. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I do some small stuff for my truck in Pro-E, but I dont have Pro at home so the only time I have is lunches or if I stay late, and we'r getting a new product to market right now so I'm pretty swamped with that.
    I want to do the front suspention when I put My Ford D-60 in. I want to have all the X-over steering, track-bar,sway-bar layed out so I can make sure i like it.
    Russ V