Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever enter their K5 in a tuff truck competition?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 10, 2001.

i want to know what it would take to do this. just seems like too much fun! plus i hate seeing all these yotas and ford rangers win. most full size rigs get hammered and broken, but it's usually because they aren't set up properly. i would think a lower lift 2 - 4 inches and lots-o-power would be the ticket. anyone have any first hand experience with this?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If its anything like the tough truck comp. here at the truckin nationals you have a log crawl, rock crawl, jump contest, 100 ft dirt drag racing, and an opstical course. You would want a low lift thats very flexy with decent size tires.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There's a pretty good article about this in the December issue of 4Wheel &amp; Off-Road, starting on page 50. You might want to look VERY closely at the K5 on page 56 before deciding to play Dukes of Hazzard in yours. [​IMG] That's a pretty expensive 3 minutes of fun... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. i totally missed that artical! i'll read it right away. what about using a 2wd with a fabtec kit?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

4. DesertDueler

i dont think a 2wd would climb rocks, or go through mud very well.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. you're right about that. they don't have those events here though. i would think that running a tuff truck course in 4wd would cause a lot of oversteer. i have a lot of desert and fire roads in my area too and have thought a bout a 2wd pre runner as well. some of those fabtec kits are crazy expensive though.

</font color=blue>

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

man that just seems like a lot of wear and tear for not much gain...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Man those things sound like funn! I'm wanna try it, when I get the ol' girl finished..

Gusset the front axle, keep it light (yeah-right), and put some two-sided sticky tape on the floor board right under the skinny pedal and go for it.

Or buy a $200 dolla beater and run it insted.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

They dont have kool tuff truck races like that that I have been to. Its basicly WHOOPS, Jumps, and Corners, that I have seen. The ones you describe DD sound fun!

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]

9. Yeah, Twiz, with your custome long travel springs you could have a sweet ride. lose the doors, top and tailgate, put the rad., battery and spare in the back and go for it!

according to the artical in 4w&amp;or ifs and fuel injection do quite well. maybe like an 87 s-10 would be the ticket. it's just not as cool as seeing a full size catching major air and pulling it off.

</font color=blue>

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Here's some info that was past to me from someone who knows about racing straight axle rigs. Also, for the short course stuff, you'd want 4wd cause it will get you around a lot quicker. <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Shocks are the key with leaf springs. Straight axle front ends can be Really good and extreemly reliable. You should contat Jeff Crosby at DEAVER SPRING (714) 542-3703. Let him know what you want to do and he can set you up with a nice set of springs. Shocks will be the key to the ride. So meny people are hung up on wheel travel... More is better?? This is not always the case... Dont think MORE... Think perfect... Perfect spring Rate.. Perfect shock Valving... Most of the little 7s trucks racing right now have under 12" of wheel travel yet they can still take a 3ft whoop at a good clip of speed. SHOCKS Are the key... Get a good set of shocks Like Sway-a-ways.. By-pass is better. If you get 12" of travel out of the front and 18" or so out of the rear with a good set of shocks you will have a great runner there... If you Plan on Launching the thing I would suggest Beefing up the front axle as well. Good luck... If you need anything else give us a call..(714) 632-3033 We have done a bunch of Straight axle racing :) Good Luck

<hr></blockquote>

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    "If I had wanted a plastic ride, I'd married Pamela Anderson."<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

11. Pure Insanity

Understeer, could be solved by running a slightly taller ratio in the front couldnt it?? Like a 4.11 in the rear and 4.09 in front. Or same gears w/ 1 size smaller tire in front. 33's and 35's. Seems like it would work. That way the front would pull the rear around a corner. Just a thot running around my head.

12. DesertDueler

The 4.11s and 4.09s would work, but the 33s and 35s combo would destroy your transfercase.

13. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I raced the arenacross type events...just like a motorcycle track. Run it in 2 wheel drive, have a good energy absorbing frontend, and maintain wheel speed while in the air. Wouldn't believe how many morons I watched break their frontends when they hit the brakes in mid air! Good carb that doesn't flood is also key. Wear a helmet, and a neck brace helps immensely! And have fun! That's what I originally bought my blazer for and wrecked it bad on the track. Stay in control! Btw, I was running a stock height rig with 31's 3.08s, 350 and auto, with stock 10/12 bolt axles open. Ran in 2Hi, and pulled the front driveshaft. Ran topless so i wouldn't crack my half cab. HTH,

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

14. Pure Insanity

Well it would only hurt the case if both ends got good traction. Not likely in the dirt. Not a great idea I know but it may work. I have heard of boggers doing this so the front pulls a bit faster, and straighter, in the sloppy stuff.

15. speedy

speedy 1/2 ton status

AJ (bandit) entered his K5 in teh tuff truck comp. here and got 3rd place. He went off the first jump ok, but the second was a hard landing because he got so much air. He broke his front axle when he came down and finished the rest of the race with a broken front axle. They based it on time and his time was 22.34 He was so proud of himself and the blazer. I think ya got a chance.

I LOVE YOU AJ!!! Til we meet again. ~Michelle

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Friend took his '79 K5 to just one a few years back. (400, TH350, NP203, 3.73 D44/12bolt, at least 4" lift, 33 or 35" tires) The event he competed in sounds like (he has it on video, never did watch it) it was only a dirt track, with lots of bumps and jumps.

As expected, the long side front axle tube broke the differential housing of the D44 on one of the last jumps. He finished though, and came in 2nd overall. Was beat by a "pro" in a jeep.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Saw a beautiful shortbox K10 like mine used in Tuff Truck this year.

The owner owned a speed shop in Nebraska and came all the way to Illinois to destroy his rig.

He was supposed to enter in my class of mud bogs when he was done (he would have beaten me, he had a fire breathing big block and 1 ton driveline). On the last jump, he nose dived it into the ground, destroying the whole (rust free, freshly painted) front clip and bending the frame in the middle.

Boy was I pissed that day.

Another junker SWB K10 pulled the long axle tube out of the housing on his D44. I can't believe he didn't think to weld it.

Here, Tuff Truck is a dirtbike track that they drive trucks on.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles