Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone ever fit a powerstroke intercooler on a 6.2 6.5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've got a local new powerstroke intercooler- I havent measured my stock radiator to see if it fits. My truck is still in the shop getting its tranny done.

Anyone have any measurements on the stock radiator/condenser? I want to know if I can fit this intercooler in the front. Otherwise, it will be time for some fancy installation.

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

When do you need the measurements? I can take 'em Thursday night or Friday if nobody pipes up by then.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

whenever is good- I have the intercooler sitting here, and I should be getting my truck back tomorrow- I was just wondering if anyone has done it before, or will I be in ultra fab- world before I am finished.
    :haha:

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

never seen a 6.2 (our body style rigs anyway) with an intercooler on the turbo setup. Would be interesting. I know 6.5 guys upgrade to intercooler setups.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I've got a wacky year- I've got a 6.2 in the newer ck body style, and I've got the highly desirable 6.34:1 Nv4500 tranny.

Weird combo to say the least. Im looking to turbo it- I've got just about everything I need now, but I wanted to add an intercooler- to make sure I dont fry the pistons.

What I was trying ot see, was if the outlet and inlet tubes were *wider* than the radiators. If it is, then I can at least work around it. If it isnt, then this will probably not be the intercooler of choice.

Because of the orientation of the J-code non turbo intake, I got the banks airbox. I'll turn it 180, which gives it perfect inlet, for an intercooled application

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Okey dokey, it did help. here are the comparable numbers: [​IMG]

PS intercooler
    39" x 18" x 2.5"
    3" I/O

So , again.. still dunno if it will fit! I guess I need to just try it with the grill off.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Turbo envy...

I saw a 6.5 turbo for sale at the swap meet sunday in CT--sitting in a box,with 10,000 miles on a fresh rebuild,with all the slips to prove it..no other hardware though..asking price..150 bucks! :( ..about 100 more than I had on me at the time.. :mad:

I wish my 6.2 had one on it..I drove my brothers 93 6.5 Turbo 4x4,with a 5 speed,before he sold it a few months ago....made my 6.2 feel like a 4 banger!..but his "new" '02 K2500 with the Duramax and Allison tranny put both to shame!.. :crazy:

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

150 on a fresh rebuild?! thats a steal! Where are these swap meetS?!

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

last one of the year..

The one I attended was at Thompson Speedway in northeast CT..it was the last one of the year in new england,and one of the largest,if not THE largest there is..they have another one twice yearly in Stafford Springs CT at the ractrack there too,in april and october..

I bought a NP208 T-case (TH400 or 4 speed 32 spline) for a spare for my 82 K20 at Thompson last year for 30 bucks,WITH the TH400 adapter! :eek1: ..same guy was there again this year,and had several other T-cases cheep,including divorced NP205's....I also saw a SM465/NP205 combo from a 71 K10 for 50 bucks or best offer!(10 spline I assume..)..and a NP205 for a TH400 for 150 bucks with the adapter!--..there are always a lot of good deals at both those swap meets--the other ones I go to closer to home never seem to have any "deals",or anything I'm looking for.... :(

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

surprised you arent just buying them and then selling them on ebay!