Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone ever had probs with axle diff shims breaking?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, I almost made it a full day without sumthin going wrong... we went wheeling today in a local gravel pit and were trying to get fairly extreme (from our perspective) when I backed my drivers side rear tire up on a 3' diameter boulder and jumped out to inspect my travel etc. My buddy noticed that my newly made custom cut perfectly angled cast metal shim had broken in 2 and the back half was spitting out from under the pack. I cut them from a set of Rancho 4" lift blocks down to 1 1/2" with a 12 degree shim to them.
    Does anyone have any input on past probs with them? Have you ever seen any break? The blocks werent solid, if I get some made from some solid aluminum will I run into probs again?
    I have considered a CV shaft and do away with any shims, but its out of my financial deptartments "priority list" for now. I have also considered cutting and rewelding the perches as a solution, but with the future state of mods to this truck in question (depending on what hits the post threads next!) I was hesitant about welding, then recutting and rewelding them again and again if things change.
    What would be my best course of action? Is it harmful to the axle tubes to weld a couple different times to correct changing angle requirements? Do you think I can use a solid piece and have it last as a block?

Thanks for any and all inputs.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Lets see I broke a set of Rancho 2 degree shims into 3 pieces and a set of trail master ones that are mushed but not broken. I have a set of BDS 4 degree ones in now since the flip and will check them tomorrow when I retorque the axle. All are aluminum though.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Go with steel ones and you will be happy. I have a set of 6 degree shims in mine and no problems. Mine even survived the rollover.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Theres the problem. Who makes the steel shims? Most aftermarket lift companies make the aluminum shims. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can talk to Jim at Pro 4x4 in Arvada, Colorado to get the steel shims. He has them in 2, 4 and 6 degree sizes. [​IMG]

You can reach him at (303) 343-7672.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Thats cool, but I need a 12 degree shim... which means I need to custom make a set. I also want to incorporate a 1 1/2" lift block into them so I plan on making some. My question is if I make them out of a solid piece of aluminum, will they stand up or will they break again? The ones I used were Rancho cast metal 4" lift blocks that I cut down to 1 1/2" with the proper angle. They arent solid metal, and it broke just behind the center bolt locator.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

7. Anything cast is going to be prone to breakage because of the nature of castings in general. Something forged will be your best bet.

American by birth, Marine by the grace of God