Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever have to have their truck re-"VIN'ed"?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Feb 5, 2001.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever have to have their truck re-\"VIN\'ed\"?

Just a question for anyone that has ever had to have their vehicle reinspected to get a new title, in such cases as a rebuilt salvage title, etc.

Here in WA state, when you buy a "tub" from the wrecking yard, they are required to remove the VIN plate. When you put the tub on whatever you are building, you go to the state patrol, and they basically give it a new VIN. Here they put a WA ID# plate on the frame, and thats it. They are the ones who determine what year the vehicle is for the rest of its "life"

So I build my truck up, using 1974-76 engine, tranny, transfer case, and dual exhaust. The only thing that is discernible as not being 73-80 are the front end sheetmetal, the axles (to the trained eye) and thats it. The tailgate, doors, and frame there is really no way to tell the year of since it is all installed, and the differences were slight IMO. Since I built the truck, I consider myself a trained eye, obviously don't know everything, as I know there ARE other differences, but not what exactly. These people that deal with every make and model every day, are less likely to know that stuff than I am in any case.

So I called to set up my appointment, and they (washington state patrol)inform me that they are going to title it as what it "looks like" Exterior only. I said, "we have emissions regulations, and my 1970's powertrain is not going to likely meet 1981-86 emissions requirements" (at least without me tuning it and paying to retest a few times, since the emissions testing is state only, it costs $13 to run through itrh only two chances per $13) They basically said they don't care, and referred me to the state EPA. THEY told me no exemption on emissions.

Since the State Patrol told me that they are going to title it as it looks, I am now going to have to swap on a 1973-80 front end, and tell them its a 1973 truck. (Pre cats, dual exhaust is legal then and no emissions testing prior to '75 anyway) Then once it gets titled, I will swap back on the 81-87 front end, and be done with emissions forever. There is absolutely nothing illegal with changing sheet metal, yet the sheet metal alone is what they are going to determine the emissions fate of my vehicle with. Fair? I think not, however no way to fight it now, just have to work around it.

Has anyone else had to do something similar with their vehicle? I assume this is a unique situation, since the first few people I talked to at the EPA had no clue, and the last guy I talked to DID have a clue, and got into details about camshafts, and jetting the carb right, etc., which still didn't help in my quest to get the thing emissions exempted.

So frustrating that now I have to spend a full day swapping sheet metal over AFTER I already lined up the stuff on there now, and since the body was originally an '86, and the receipt from the yard shows that, I may get screwed after all that work anyway, although not if the WSP goes by what THEY told me.

Sound like a fun situation? : )

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Anyone ever have to have their truck re-\"VIN\'ed\"?

Dorian, do you still have the original VIN tag? Would it be difficult to install on the "new" tub? That would be the least painful solution. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. dyeager535

The problem is now the State Patrol wants a receipt for the major parts ont eh frame (engine, frame, doors, etc.) when i go to have it inspected. Of course i don't have that stuff, I bought all this stuff from people in the classifieds! So now I have to also get my friend to make up a receipt for this stuff. I don't have any other VIN plates unfortunately, or I might consider it. In that case, I'd never have to worry about inspection : ) As it is, I could trade my friend a title/VIN off a '73, but he would never be able to get rid of the "tub" he has, since no scrapper/wrecking yard here will take one with no VIN.

I understand what they are trying to prevent here (profit from theft) but now when someone tries to do it by the rules, they get screwed! None of the parts they want receipts for needs a title except the tub, so how do they know its not stolen? Every door or part I buy, I have to write up a receipt that shows the donor trucks VIN? I'm sure EVERYONE does that! :)

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

there was just a thing on tv about stolen part's and what the goverment look's for,,,,
    all the part's they want reciept's for have a vin code on them to match the original vehicle,,,if they don't match your reciept's without proof of a vin then they are considered stolen and property of the govt...or WSP in this case..
    if the parts don't have any vin tag on them,,,guess what,,they are considered stolen and becom property of WSP...
    i think that the drivers door and the tailgat have vin tag's on them si if they are still there then make sure they match the donor vehicle or at least match a truck that is legal..
    did the salvage yard give you a reciept with the tub that stated the year???
    if it states the earlier model then that is the way it should be titled,,if not then i think you are outta luck,,,
    although the tub's may be the same the sheet metal is the main factor as it is a different body style...
    you may just have to take it with a grain of salt,,,sorry bro i feel your pain.......

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. bigwheels6

bigwheels6 Registered Member

Which WSP station are you going to? I was stationed up there a few years back and had to have an out of state motorcycle inspected. I went to a couple of different places and they hasselled me over the paperwork. I finally went to the inspection station up in Marysville, and they breezed me through like it was nothing. If you're not too far away, it's worth a shot.

In every contest there must be a loser.

6. dyeager535

I am going to the one in Bellevue...the guys there are actually very nice and informative..they could have not told me anyhting, and likely confiscated my truck since I wouldn't know I needed a receipt for the frame.

The Lewis and Clark WSP inspection station has a bunch of jerks there. You can't speak to a human, have to leave a message, and MAYBE 5 days later they will return your call. Almost like they are the troopers with such bad people skills they had to take them off the road. thanks for the suggestion though, they obviously don't all have the same procedures.

Dorian

7. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I am so glad that I live in Michigan. But, I don' think it would matter because I have a 74. Here I don't even think twice when swapping in different engines; that were not stock in the year of the vehicle. I hope it works out for you though.

74 Blazer
    Kashmir
    Zepplin