Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone ever install a grant steering wheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pow06er, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

has anyone ever installed a grant classic steering wheel? Heres the wheel
    http://www.grantproducts.com/images/prod/969incar.jpg

I have the wheel installed fine its that I dont know how the center horn cap mounts...Could it be that since i removed a grant gt series wheel that I dont have the stock hardware that could be necesary?

Im think that after i put on the steering wheel i need to install the stock horn button and the cap will clip onto it???

heres some progress pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its a 88 k5 btw

2. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I'm gueesing that your correct on assuming that you need the OEM horn peices. Did it not come with instructions when you bought it?

3. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

yea they sucked imo

4. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

missing some parts[​IMG]

5. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

well thanks i guess i am ....darn summit told me that if i had a gt wheel previously then it would work but i guess they were wrong....I think i will still need a stock horn button since i dont have one

6. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I've had three and have never been able to make the damn horn button stay put on any of them, even with all the parts. I've had two that rattled around as I turned the wheel and one that pops out in my lap everytime I hit a big bump. Scared the livin' crap outta me the first time it happened. I had nightmare images of the wheel coming off right after it. My 12 year old thought is was funny as hell though...

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep, I've got the same wheel. Summit told me the same thing when I changed from the little ricer wheel the PO installed. You still need the Grant mounting kit for the horn button. I love the wheel but the horn SUCKS; either it falls off or it doesn't work. I'm gonna fab something better.

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Every Grant wheel I had has a problem with the horn button design. Sometimes the friggin horn will come on without warning.BLEEEEEP.

If your having horn trouble you might try a slightly longer bolt - if you can find a matching style, and stronger springs.

I unhooked the wire from my horn button and now I just yell out the window, BEEP.

9. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Had the same problem as others with the overall fit of the button. Mine popped off one day while at a buddies house and we were out of town. His wife said the horn blared for about three hours before the battery died. :mad: :grin: After that I unhooked the wire and did the yell too.

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I picked up a billet horn button and adapter from Summit for one of my Grant wheels. The design is a lot better than that cheap stamped junk in the kit. Been running it for about 4 years without any problems.