Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever mess with plaster??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Feb 6, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

So this house we bought has some trim along the ceiling in the living room that isn't wood...it's all plaster. One corner of the room was damaged from a roof leak years ago and the plaster got mess up so the nice hard lines of the trim are gone. The past owner of the house apparently bought some plaster mix and and tried to fix it by hand :rolleyes:
    I traced out a cardboard template and then cut it out of a 2" wide block of wood. I have to sand down the extra plaster the the PO left up ther so my template can match it. The stuff is like concrete unless you get it wet then you can work with it. But the bad part is it's a mess and makes a nice milky. gooey paste everywhere..UGHH

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry but I've done alot of carpentery but no plaster.

There are some websites like DIY that have alot of information.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the only experience i have had w/ it is removing it during & after a house fire. some of that stuff is pretty tough. it really suxs having to pull it down off a ceiling.

good luck fixing it, it should be there forever

4. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Pull it down and put up sheetrock

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Been there, done that...:crazy:
    My house is/was all plaster (1920's). I wanted to rip it all out and put sheetrock in when we bought the place, but now, I actually like plaster and am used to working with it. I've sheetrocked 5 out of 11 ceilings in this house so far, and the living room (12'x17') was the absolute worst, my bedroom a close second.

Don't wet existing plaster and try to work with it, it sounded like that's what you were going to do. Just break that crap out and chuck it. Plaster is pretty much "use once, get right the first time". Once it's cured and set, wetting it actually weakens it, kinda like wetting a cardboard box then letting it dry.

I'd recommend buying a 20/30lb bag at home depot, and messing around to practice. Plaster cures quick, depending on your water temp and some other factors I haven't figured out, so you should get a little experience with it before trying to do a finish. Also, wear a mask and cover your stuff if you sand or remove old plaster, it's dustier than you'd expect (and it may contain asbestos):whistle: . And if you do end up demoing a wall or two, be prepared for a lottttt of mess... I couldn't believe how many bags it filled up doing just a small ceiling, or even just a small wall. The old stuff is so heavy that you can't really use any bags efficiently. Definately worth a dumpster if you plan to do a few rooms at once.

I would rather use plaster in a lot of spots than spackle. Plaster is some tough stuff... Punch a plaster wall and you'll really feel it and the wall won't (well, I dunno about you, aren't you a body builder?). Whenever I put new outlet boxes in, I plaster them in, then build a wood support for them if I can access it. The box ain't goin' nowhere once that plaster sets, but I've seen some retrofit gangboxes pull out of a sheetrock wall...
    I think it looks way better than sheetrock in the long run, too. We stripped the wall paper off my sons room and painted it, and I think it looks better than my daughters room sometimes (I redid her whole room in sheetrock).

Also, the life expectancy of a plaster ceiling was around 100 years. Around 80 years, they start to look bad (crack, chip, etc), around 100, if ignored or water damaged like you said yours was, they will actually start to fall down in chunks. Ours was getting close to falling down when we bought it, so I just said frig it and did that first thing.

Good luck, it's fun stuff once you're obsessed, er, addicted, or um, enslaved?