Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever miss the vehicle they had before they cut it up?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Aug 25, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was transferring files onto a new laptop this morning and going through pictures to see which ones to save. I ran across the one below, how my truck looked when I first brought it home, and I like what I've done to it, but at the same time I miss the old beast...anyone else miss the vehicle you used to have before you cut it up?

Picture 007.jpg

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I miss my old '79 K20. I cut it up and hauled it away from scrap.

3. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

Sometimes I do, I have a 2001 Frontier that I factory ordered and waited 4 months for delivery. Perfect in every way, brand-new, picked it up less than 8 hours after it arrived from the factory.

I had it 2 1/2 years then converted it to 4x4, dropped sliders, skids, locker, crawlers, bigger tires, etc under it. Then I started really wheeling it.

It is slow, handles worth crap, has tons of rattles and noises, barks around every corner, and has a tons of scrapes and pinstriping all over it from wheelin'. The truck is not even 5 years old. It will wheel damn good, kudos to the Detroit and crawlers, but it is not fun to drive day to day anymore.

Enter the '69 K5 I bought in December. I am "undoing" the damage that years, neglect, and ignorance have done to her. Kind of the inverse of what I did to my Frontier. I don't want to wheel it, I don't want it "perfect", but I do want it to be simply a "nice truck".

4. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I had to cut up a 69 camaro shell for scrap. It was my high school ride, got rear ended bad, and it finally died a year later. I stripped everything, but no yard would haul away the shell, so my dad got a dump truck from work, and we just hacked up the whole thing.

Tragedy was, the firewall and front subframe were mint .. if I only knew what back halfing a car was back then. Anyway, I miss the car still. lots of memories.

Tom

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Don't really miss much, except the better fuel mileage it seemed to get before i did the drivetrain and suspension mods,,,oh and yeah,,,,miss the lower cost of fuel as well :D

and another thing, i do miss not having a cracked up windshield, and PAINT,,,i miss my used to be somewhat one color paint it used to have,,,(crappy "89 paint :( )

OH and yeah,,,quiet tires with unbent wheels, miss my smooth ride :doah:

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

The only cutting I've done on the truck is mild fender trimming, and I'm glad I did that. I think it looks better than it did stock, personally.

I cut the roof off of my old '96 V6 Camaro to convert it to a T-top, and I sure didn't miss the hard-top car it was before. And now, I don't miss the car either. The 200hp V6 that sounds like a weedeater compared to the 350hp LS1 powered monster I own now - there's no comparison.

Mike

7. mikey_d05

ok ok, I meant modified more than cut up. I trimmed the hell out of the fenders on mine but that's about it for now. I might be really sorry after I get the narrowing jobs done though. :crazy:

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i miss the 82 3/4 2wd gmc pickup i had to cut up for a bus ticket (long story invloving exwife) it had a mr goodwrench 6.2 and th400 i wish i had still :(

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

oooohhhhh! ;) gotcha :D

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

ouch! that does suck! R.I.P. old camaro

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

SO VERY MUCH!!!

From my daily driver in high school:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

To the junkyard.... :(

DAMN YOU CK5.... no really damn my lack of self control and latching onto the next great idea. I should have just put the dana 44 under the front, 14 bolt under the back, put some 35(36/37s) on it and gone with it. Really its, damn the local junkyard. When I bought a Dana 60 for $250, everything went downhill, then I figured "oooh I can run 39s", and it was all over from that thought.

**sigh**

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

You probably will be. That was the big step that ruined my K5. I started the narrowing process, then I figured "hey screw it I will tube the front and rear" then "hey lets just build a full tube truggy off the frame" in the end it went to the junkyard then I got another K5 that also went to the yard.... god I suck...

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

not one bit. :D for what i used my rig for the sheet metal was just in the way. ;)

14. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

That's exactly the feeling I'm trying to avoid, while building a respectable trail rig. I still have every intention of keeping it street & creature friendly... while trying to get the best "wheel-ability" I can.

I will be trimming the fenders, but as little as I can, for the most part.. I don't plan to go crazy with the sawzall.

My hope is to end up with something that, in the end, resembles (from a visual) derf's , or DP's K5's. Something capable, but still very much a K5.

15. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

im still in the early stages with mine, just some fender trimming and some body damage for now.

but the way i wheel and the way i want to wheel will lead this blazer straight to ugly. just a matter of time.

day i bought it
    [​IMG]

now
    [​IMG]

16. mikey_d05

Yeah, the rear is going to get narrowed if I have a free three-day weekend to come home and do it this fall. The front will hopefully be narrowed in the spring...and the exo will be next winter. Eh well, I guess I'd be crying in my beer if I smashed the full body to pieces anyways.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nah, unless you really mess it up. ;) I can't think of a single piece of useless wiring, sheetmetal, a/c ducting etc that I "miss". :grin:

j