Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever mount their own tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, May 2, 2003.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

last night I decided to take off my 36.5/14/16.5 RVT (almost ground hawg look-a-like) and throw on my 36/12.5/16.5 goodyear RII's Military hummer tires,because my RVT's have about 90% tread and I dont wanna have them burn down,since Im not doing any wheeling any time soon.the R II's have about 75% tread,and run real smooth(just think of these as street tires) so I took one tire off the rim,and tried to put the R II on my rim,which now I cant figure out how it goes on,I think the problem is that the R II's have been on military bead locks,and the bead is'nt streached? does anyone have any ideas,how I could get my R II's on my rims myself? or should I take them down to a tire shop? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You have tire irons? There's no way you'll get it on very easily without irons... </font>

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good luck getting the tires off the rim, if you managed to do that, getting the tires on the rim should be easier.

Here's how i've done it before.
    Lots of soapy water.
    The first bead you can just plop the tire on the rim at an angle, and spin it around while pushing down... the first bead will go on the rim easy... the second bead is tough.

Remember, you have to Push one side (half) of tire in the drop center of the rim in order to get the other half of the tire bead over the rim. (That's probally your problem)
    I didn't even have tire irons, just some long screwdrivers, and pry the bead around the rim as i was standing on it.
    It's a pain, and probally easier to take to a tire shop.
    The size of the tire will also determine how hard it is to get it on the rim by youself. If it's big, a come-along around the tire might help when you try to air it up and pop the tire on the bead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I mounted my tires on my tire machine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've installed two sets of 35x12.50x15 BFG Muds myself. But getting those boogers back off the rim is MUCH easier with a tire machine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I broke down and mounted my 42s by hand using a "tyre-pliers" and 2 tire irons.

7. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Good luck getting the tires off the rim, if you managed to do that, getting the tires on the rim should be easier.

Here's how i've done it before.
    Lots of soapy water.
    The first bead you can just plop the tire on the rim at an angle, and spin it around while pushing down... the first bead will go on the rim easy... the second bead is tough.

Remember, you have to Push one side (half) of tire in the drop center of the rim in order to get the other half of the tire bead over the rim. (That's probally your problem)
    I didn't even have tire irons, just some long screwdrivers, and pry the bead around the rim as i was standing on it.
    It's a pain, and probally easier to take to a tire shop.
    The size of the tire will also determine how hard it is to get it on the rim by youself. If it's big, a come-along around the tire might help when you try to air it up and pop the tire on the bead. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif getting the tire off the rim was real easy,I used a tie rod pickle fork,and a real long pry bar,I'd love to get these tires mounted by next week.
    keep the good info comming! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I mounted my tires on my tire machine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Ive got one of those cheap manual tire changer tools bolted to the concrete next to the shop. Works real good, especially for big tires. But only useful for steel wheels, its too hard on the aluminum when prying and sliding the tools around. Think it only cost like $80

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Ya tire machine here too!

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

me too, its fun to brag.

12. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> You have tire irons? There's no way you'll get it on very easily without irons... </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, I usually get the first half of the tire on without even picking up the irons /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif dish soap does wonders, the second bead takes the irons tho. I find the most difficult part is getting the old tires off. I have been doing my own tires for years, tire shops are highway robbery (no pun intended)

-Scott

13. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Gettin them off isn't too bad but getting them on is easy. Did it to my 39.5" TSL's.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Did it once to clean 20lb of mud out of it. Dismounted and remounted it. Took a couple hours but it's the first I had ever done by hand. REALY pain in the butt.
    BigJBear was at work /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    It's good to have friends with tire machines. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif