Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever order a new door shell from LMC or somewhere?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blackdog, Sep 1, 2001.

1. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

If you have, what was the quality of the shell like? Comparable to OEM? How big a job was it to transfer very last internal piece from the old shell to the new one, and did everything fit right? Holes in all the right places?

The shell at LMC is $99, and I'm thinking about it. The lower door skin, which is really what's bad on my present door (cancer), is only about $22, but I figure once I get someone to weld it on and smooth everything, it's going to cost much more than $99. I have a feeling it's one of those major PIA jobs to do yourself, but getting the new door shell could save some $$.

Any opinions? (Oh yeah, I already checked the junk yards-no luck)

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Well, I haven't ordered one, but it says in the cat. that their body panels are "made overseas" and that in transit, they may get dinged or damaged.

I am not sure the quality will be that of OEM, but, I will say that I just ordered something from LMC and I got exactly what I ordered, IN TWO DAYS!

I think you should call LMC and ask them these questions. What they have to say should be able to help you make a decision.

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have read the same thing in the catalog, I'm not too sure how accurate the holes and diameters would be since they are made over-yonder.. I got my from my local Chevy dealer, not just the skin. the entire door. I'm sure I paid a lot more but,,, everything lined up and nothing more (other than primer and paint) had to be done to it. Right now they are still primer, I had the seams sealed too. I just figured, for the money they are worth it. Did the same thing with the fenders.

1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear, dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

If your gonna buy aftermarket parts your better off to get a body shop to give you the # to the supplier they use, or have em order it for you.

Theres really not that many aftermarket manufacturers and they are of so/ so quality, and more times than not it seems the parts would be damaged.

Having been in the body biz for almost 15 yrs, I have slung more than my share of these non OEM parts on cars and trucks over the yrs. And have slung some across the shop!! [​IMG] It seemed that the older more popular cars/ trucks seem to fit better than some of the lesser used stuff. BUT the last time I used any aftermarket was several yrs ago before State Farm got in all the heat they did over using them, and most Ins. Co. quit using them.

Basicly, you have a 70/30 chance of being satisfied. Id give it a shot if I were in your shoes. Personally I dont pay list price for parts, because of being able to order stuff thru my dads shop, so I end up paying the same or close to it to buy OEM VS. aftermarket.

Give it a try and if its all beat up, send it back. Just make sure you can!!!

In all reality I have seen OEM GM doors that fit like crap so its not much of a comparision there. Just before you build the door, paint it and rust proof it good before you put it on. Esp. around the door handle brace and at the bottom. That will help in the poss. of rust quite a bit.

And finally look for CAPA certification, on the parts you order. There should be a yellow sticker w/ a tear off section to keep in your records w/ the production # or something like that so they can ID it if you have a prob. down the road.

Sorry for being so long winded!

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I'm happy with my new drivers door from LMC. Thicker and smoother than I thought it would be. Everything fits fine except the door panel won't align quite right.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

paid $65 through local paint store for aftermarket. What the hell your going to be repacing the door next year after 4wheelin

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Doors who needs doors. All they do is get dented up.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I road in a j**p w/o doors and top don't like it I would rather have the tree or rock hit the door than hit ME!!!!!!!!!!

9. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Doors are over rated! That is one thing I miss about my CJ.

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Thats what I said:)

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I got two aftermarket doors that were both CAPA ceritified. The passenger side fits like crap, it doesn't have the same shape as the fender. It lines up perfectly all the way down the door except the last 6 inches where it 'flattens' out and sticks out past the fender about 3/8 inch. Should make a nice whistle when I get to take it out for a test run. I have electric windows and a few of the holes were slightly off (like the window motor holes) but nothing that a Dremel couldn't handle. What did irritate me was the outside window weatherstripping holes (the part that goes on the outside lower part of the door window that has the metal tabs that fit inside some slots). The slots are suppose to be cut straight across, obviously, but instead angled upward. So when I put the weatherstripping on there was a huge gap at one end. I don't plan on going aftermarket for body parts any more. I'll pay the $500 for a new door from GM. I say that now ... [​IMG] [​IMG]