Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever pull engine and trannie out together?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 14, 2001.

i have a beater 2wd in the back yard that i'm going to yank the motor and trannie out of before it goes to the junk yard. would like to pull both at once. would i have to pull the rad. support out or can i just angle it up and out in one shot?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

The radiator support comes out pretty easy. This way if you pull both together, you don't have to lift it so high. Not saying it can't be done, just that if you use a "cherry picker" the higher you go the more top heavy it gets.

Ron

'84 K5......Tree Fitty, SM465/Np205, D44/14BFF, Pro-jection! .....and of coarse no other color than Odie!

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

If it's 2wd yes you can pull the motor and tranny together and I would pull the rad makes it much easyer

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have pulled engine, trans, and transfer together out of 4x4s. We cut the front clip off in the center of the fenders, tilted it forward, cut the body mounts with a torch, and pulled the whole mess straight out the front!!

Otherwise, yes, removing the engine/trans even without destroying the truck is definitely possible. I did it on the Camaro that I used to get my engine.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I've done it to my Chevelle plenty of times. I've only pulled the engines alone in 4x4's. I don't see why you can't do it. I would just drop the front of the truck as low as possible on jack stands or the front rotors if you don't care about them. Save the good sheetmetal for the next guy.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I pulled the eng. and trans together on my Blazer. I did leave the tcase tho. When I put it back in I yanked the front clip. If I pull it again I will pull the clip again. I can have it off in about 20 min. w/ air tools.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Jedi Mind Trick (just got the engine rebuild done less then a month ago) had the engine &amp; tranny pulled together...

no big deal, I pull the wheel's off, and dropped it on 4x4 blocks so I could just barely get the floor jack under it to lift it up again.

tranny was a 700r4 tranny so I pulled the t-case, crossmember etc. all out underneath. man it really was cake, and I had no clearance problem etc.

I did purchase a leveler for the job, and definately do not think it would have been possible without it

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

7. the front clip bolts are pretty rusted on. would like a leveler, they look pretty slick. i think for this job i'll just get some buddys over to steady everything. got the front end on blocks already so i guess it's a go. just need to rent a cherry picker. thanks for all the responses.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

if you are 'renting' a cherry picker then a leveler shouldn't be much more to rent...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I pulled a 350/465/205 out of my 76, all in one piece. I took the hood off but not the front clip. It came out fine. I even left the distributor on! Didn't mess up the core support or anything.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

10. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

To pull my 350/350/203, I only took off the hood and removed the radiator, went very smooth!

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA

11. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

If you have a good engine-leveler, it is pretty easy, but a little time consuming. You have to tip the engine back and forth a bit to get it over the core support(pull the radiator). I have done it a couple of times, with an auto or a manual.
    eric

Don't get me started, you know how i get.
    82k5, 14bff, d44, sm465, np205, 300hp350, rust

12. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

2-wheel drives are a snap to pull eng/tran together. Have done it several times. And yes, a leveler does make it a lot easier. Pull radiator, distributor, fan off before pulling. And take your time. Hurrying will only snag you up and can be hazardous to your health.

Brian
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm>www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm</a>

13. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Yea, Done that and you better be ready to lift allot of weight!!! It can be done but wouldn't recommend it!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Power steering and A/c definitely need to come off too and stay in the truck.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I just did it last weekend out of my 4wd Blazer. I had to pull the front grill assembly completely off. But had no problem pulling the tranny and Engine with the cherry-picker.