Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever pull the motor to do a clutch instead of dropping the trannie?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Feb 5, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

seems like less work to just yard the motor out then to drop both drivelines, the t case and the trannie and roll around under the truck all day. plus while the motor is out i could stuff in a cam /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if you wee doing a cam, maybe.
    but dumping all the coolant etc is a PITA and a lot more work then dropping a case and tranny

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I'd rather pull the motor any day.If you have a shop with trans jack and stuff it's a tossup,but,under the shade tree i'd pull motor.most of time the exaust has to come loose and all driveline stuff.I would rather have motor hanging than lay under all that weight too.88 SWB,SFA,on 38s /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Ive done it both ways, but now im gonna pull the motor whenever i need to. It is so much easier to have the truck down low and to stand up working on it. Crawling under it and jacking it up 3 feet is for the birds.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What about the other way? Pull the trans hump cover and wrap a chain around the adapter and hang the trans/tc from a engine hoist.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What about the other way? Pull the trans hump cover and wrap a chain around the adapter and hang the trans/tc from a engine hoist.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I did that when I swapped the auto for the 465....Made things soooo much easier.

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Did that with the 72,the floor don't come off in the 88 C K /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I've done it both ways: Pulled a tranny with a floor jack on an asphalt parking lot for one clutch job, Had a nice garage with a cherry picker and pulled the engine instead on a different clutch job. I'd rather pull the engine anyday, but mj is right, coolant and exhaust is a pita.

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

What year did they stop making the tunnel removeable? My '73 is and my'70 was. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Auto tranny tunnels are not removable in the late 70's and all of the 80's. Manual tranny should still have a bolt on floor hump...

11. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

88s not K5 ,CK 1500 SFA D60.None of them come off,Wish they did.Make tranny swap much easier later.Wanted to do doubler,but,Thinking bout 465 niw and mabey dblr later. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Only high-hump floors were ever removable. It was used with the SM465 (2wd or 4wd) and all 4x4s. About '81 or 82 they make it non-removable.

I had an '87 truck for while. The PO (logging company) obviously didn't realize this until too late in the job. Looked like the floor had been opened up with a can opener, and folded back afterwards /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Needless to say... I took the engine out of my '91 to do the clutch. Good opportunity to re-seal the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif