Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever put a diesel torque convertor in (TH400)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k30gambi, May 23, 2003.

1. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

That's what I'm doing, its supposed to be 1300rpm stall speed and a gas one is 1600 (speaking oem). 90 bones for the tq, figured I'd try this rather then spend 250 for the TCI high torue (low stall) tq. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. KRUM

KRUM 1/2 ton status

i did but it's behind my 6.2 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifi dont know if there all the same or not but mine has 6 Torque converter bolts so good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    later,
    Jerry

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

The diesel ones dont like going over 3500 rpm. after that they can balloon and explode, its a hella mess when a torque convertor comes up through the floorboards.

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Youre saying that a diesel converter is not balanced as well as a gas one, or the parts are heavier or what, or are you just assuming that since a 6.2 never goes over 3500 rpm, the torque converter cant either.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

??? This is news to me. I'm running one now in the TH400 that was behind the 6.2 that came in my truck. I just bolted a 350 in front of it... AFAIK, they are nothing more than a standard TC with a lower rpm stall. The "stall value" depends on who you talk to. I've heard anything from 600(?!) to 1200, but the point is, it won't slip to as high rpm as a stock gas converter will. This can help keep heat down, and it can make finese in the rocks easier if you use it right, but it will make the gas motor feel weak since it can't get near it's power peak before having to start twisting the drivetrain, and when you *need* that wheel spin to make it, you may not be able to get it (especially when you need to spin 42s)...

6. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

Jeeez, that would be pretty crappy. A friend of mine put a deezul convertor behind his 460, thats why i was going to do it. 427, I never heard of them "balooning" thats a pretty balzy statement, are you sure (proof)?!?!

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Balooning is a real problem. But it doesn't generally surface until 6k+ on drag race trannys... Usually its more like 8k before you get really shaky, but anything over 6k is a good bet for a high rpm converter. That's also why they make special bell housing to contain a blown converter. You don't want that crapt coming at ya unless you want legs like mine, trust me, you don't... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif