Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever rebuild a Carter AFB?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Craig Artzner, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Has anyone ever rebuilt a 9500 Carter AFB carburetor? Mine was put on in 1976 and only has about 20K on it but it's acting up on me. I looked at the rebuild kit components and it looks like a breeze.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

done a few..

I've rebuilt all the ones I've owned,but that was quite some time ago--also done many Edelbrock Performers too,which are nearly identical to the AFB,(but not many parts interchange however)..

All mine needed were new accelerator pumps and a good cleaning,(one had a leaky float),since I bought them all used,either at swap meets,boneyards,or from someone elses vehicle when they decided to go to a Holley,etc..(and some of them regretted doing so,and called me up and asked me to sell them their old carb back!)..I also had two factory AFB's that came on my '66 Buick 401 motors..

I like these carbs a lot for street use--I've had them on everything from a 250 six cylinder to a 500 Caddy,and they deliver good performance,decent gas mileage,and are simple to fix ,but they also don't screw up or go out of tune very often..but I don't reccomend them for off roading,if you get the truck bouncing ,go up or down steep inclines,or off camber,they flood out easily..there are spring loaded needle valves that supposedly help this,also some other modifications--but a Q-jet is better stock than an AFB style carb will ever be in those conditions..on the street they are hard to beat..:crazy:

3. Craig Artzner

I definitely plan to stick with the AFB, my Blazer is too nice be offroaded and will be mostly relagated to parade and car show duties in the summertime.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Pictures help...

You can go to www.Edelbrock.com and use their exploded diagrams as a guide when taking your AFB apart,the carb rebuild kit should come with a diagram and spec chart too though..most of the AFB's I had only needed a new accelerator pump cup,a new bowl gasket,and little else..a few had touchy chokes ,it was hard to get them adjusted right,so I used hand chokes on most of mine..

I like the fact they have no seams below the fuel level in the bowl,so leaks are not a problem..,and you can change jets and metering rods if desired quite easily and fast--but I never had to change any on the ones I had--they ran pretty sweet just the way they were set up from the factory for me..:crazy:

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i havent rebuilt one. i had one that needed rebuilt, so i had my grandma do it. :haha:

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I found that mag wheel cleaner for non clear coated aluminum wheels works exceptionally well for cleaning the carb body. Don't try that with your Q-Jets or Holleys!

7. Craig Artzner

Cool! Thanks! I'll just FedEx my carb to Beater k20's grandma. :dunno:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

they're absolute gravy man. i actually did mine myself, took about 45 minutes.