Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever replaced rear wheel bearings?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Sep 19, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone ever replaced rear wheel bearings? I wonder if it could lead to vibration and loping.

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

yes alot of us have
    cant image it causing a loping
    need more info to dianose

3. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure mine are bad but I get an out of round feeling on one of the rear tires when driving at really slow speeds. Kind of an up and down.

Tire store said the tire was pretty close to perfect, so I am guessing it is something else (Maybe it is a bad knob sticking up. Mud tires).I occasionally feel it it when braking also but the rear drums seem fine too.

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

definately does NOT sound like a wheel bearing. tires could balance out ok, and still cause the prob.
    try rotating the tire to the front opposite side just for a test drive and see if that helps, and if not then i would start looking at a sticking shoe or drum out of round etc.
    with a little patience and some rearranging of parts you should be able to narrow it down pretty quick

5. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I know the rear bearings have never been replaced and I wondered if they would be contributing to the problem.

6. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Go to the tire shop and have the tire balanced by using the adapter that bolts the lug holes to the machine hub. This will give a balance just as the tire is mounted to the truck, not just the center of the rim. You could have a bent wheel. What kind of tires? Some swampers will hop around evrywhere and still show a close balance on the machine.