Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever replaced their yoke seal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jun 24, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I thought my rear TC seal was leaking. After further investigation, the seal and the shaft of the yoke are clean and dry. But inside the u-joint area, the "crotch" of the yoke is very oily. Confirmed by the nice spray just above the joint on the bottom of the bed. So, I found a post on this site that said the seal could be replaced. Anyone ever done it? Is it just called a yoke seal? Is it a cap like a u-joint cap or more like a regular seal?

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If I'm reading that right, sounds like the yoke is leaking, not the yoke seal (I Don't know of any such animal, anyway) There is a rear out-put shaft seal that is on the t-case that seals to the out-side dia. of the yoke, but when that leaks, it's rearly slung around.

So, The out-put yoke from the T-case to the front U-joint, has a end cap that is pressed in or welded in. I don't know of any way to reseal it. So as far as I know, replacement is the only option.

Also, the U-joints can sling grease around too, Exp. the greaseable ones. The difference should be easily seeen.

Twiztid

3. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have replaced the rubber yoke seal behind the nut and washer on the front output of a 208. I have found that RTV behind the washer stops the oil from creeping out the splines.

<font color=yellow>Steve Frisbie</font color=yellow>

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, dudes taliking about the front drive shaft. If so disregared my other reply, I don't know much about the front out-put seals on a 208.

Twiztid

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Can someone explain how to replace that front output seal on a 208 ? Does the fluid drain when you take out the front driveshaft ? There seems to be a flange with 4 bolts right above the C/V joint. Do you take that apart to get to the seal ?
    THanks !
    Blake

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you remove those 4 bolts no fluid comes out of the T case.

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>