Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever seen a "No Shim"GM Starter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, May 31, 2004.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever seen a \"No Shim\"GM Starter?

I took my starter out of my 6.2 because it sounded like it was stripping the flywheel,and somtimes it wouldnt engage the motor,just spins--so I assume the starter drive is shot,and I'm going to replace it,the flexplate teeth dont look that bad,no broken ones at least,same with the gear on the drive,some wear but no broken teeth.
    When I removed the solenoid,I noticed on the casting of the nose where the solenoid bolts on are the words "NO SHIM" casted right into the nose---anyone ever see this before??.I've worked a parts counter for 20 years,never noticed one that says that before!Of course,there was one shim in it on the outer bolt I put there previously in an attempt to get through the winter /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif.The starter is a recent Delco-Remy rebuilt.This has me confused /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif--all my motors manuals etc,have instructions on how to shim the diesel starter,now the starter says "NO SHIMS"!.Is it possible they mill the nose down when they rebuild them(doesnt appear to be any modification to me),and can I shim it if it still sounds crappy when I put the new drive in?.It sounds to me like the gears are still to far apart,and if that is the case ,then how do you correct that?,have the nose shaved down?.Any input would be greatly appreciated! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: Anyone ever seen a \"No Shim\"GM Starter?

Never seen that, but i have never used the supplied shims when installing any starter, never had a problem with them either.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

1999 , must be something recent with replacement starters. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I have had only one starter ever need shims, on a 69 pickup and it wasn't mine, just worked on it for someone. I have had mostly small blocks and never needed shims. Must be luck /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never used shims on any of my GM starters. I have never seen "NO SHIM" stamped on any of them though. That is definitely different.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've never used shims, even where I took the starter out and there were shims in it. But he is talking Diesel, I've never dealt with a diesel either.

7. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

I work at AutoZone and have seen NO SHIM written on some of the BOP type starters.
    Blake

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the replies! K20,that site you posted was helpful--at least I know I wasnt seeing things!.Learning something every day!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif