Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Ever Seen, Or Heard of 63's In The FRONT?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Nov 5, 2004.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Anyone Ever Seen, Or Heard of 63\'s In The FRONT?

I just completed a 63" spring swap into the back, and couldn't be more impressed. Nailed a 30* shackle angle on the nose, the springs are new (have 1000mi on em), and flex just wonderfully.

Bone stock springs, and a shackle flip, but the ass end is sitting a solid 3" higher than the front, which I would have though should be much closer to "on par" with the rear since it's a 56" spring conversion, which usualy nets about 4". However, I think I got a beat to [censored] pack, as my front end has a spring pack with no arch in it.

*scratches head*.

I'd like to level the thing out, and not only that, I need more clearance on my front fenders than I have.
    Currently I should only need to move my front hangers 4" forward from where they are (it'll make them flush with the grill), and then use a 1.5" offset zero-rate to get the axle back to its curtrent loction. I would integrate the front mount into my bumper, fairrly slick. As for the tail end, the shackle loction on the frame should end up square in the middle fo the body mount. I would probably have to trim one side, but whatever I trim I would also reinforce.

So. Get a new set of 56's with some more life (maybe even lift springs), or should I attempt this 63" spring swap? I know right off the bat I'm going to need some good Montotube shocks to tame the beast.

I already know I'm crazy...but is it pushing it?
    Thanks!

-Kyle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Anyone Ever Seen, Or Heard of 63\'s In The FRONT?

63s in the front would be stupid IMO. Would kill your approach angle. That reason alone is enough in my mind. Not to mention do you want to create front spring wrap? It can happen and I would think if anything would cause it 63s with the weight of the front on them would.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't think it can be done reasonably within the limits of our frame, either.

All leaf springs wrap though...my fronts wrap now, I can feel it.

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

The GM springs are listed at 64" btw, if you measure that is likely closer to what you will get from eye to eye. Anyways I had contemplated doing the same thing as you but I ended up just leaving my 6" BDS's in there for now. I think the frame just isn't up to the task and I already have a bad aproach angle up front. I wouldjust go with some lifted 56's up front since you already have your hangers set up for them. You might want to drop down to 52's though, front what I understand, the 56's will mess with your pinion angle as they cycle quite a bit. I don't know that from first hand experience though. If you only want about 4"-5" of lift I have a set of ford 57's from a Bronco. They are 3" wide and will fit up front, you can have them for free if you want to give them a shot. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif Just cover shipping and they are yours. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif