Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever... SM465 Question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Jan 18, 2007.

?

What do you run in your SM465?

1. 50w motor oil

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. gear lube (please specify weight/viscosity)

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  3. Whatever you run make sure its synthetic

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. I don't have a SM465 but I want one!

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I run my SM465 NEKKID with no lube!

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone ever run 50w motor oil in their SM465. I have run it for about a year and don't really notice much of a difference as far as shift ease goes. I heard that it can help shifting exspecially when its cold. I'm sure the majority here runs gear lube, but I wanted to if 50w oil can have any adverse effects on the tranny.

BTW: The 50w I run is the Vavoline Synthetic Race Oil if it makes any difference.

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I run extreme duty 80w90 in mine with a shot of Lucas oil. That tranny is scary quiet...

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I have always run 80W-90. Its a kinda tough to get into 1st when its cold out but not that big of a deal.

4. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

well in fla we dont get cold weather, but my last 465 had a 208 behind it... but this one with the 205 is gonna get flushed shortly and have new 80 90 and lucas...

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Plain old 85W140 right now.

I've drained ATF out of one before (I know, OE spec for later years) but I always put at least 80W90 back in. Haven't puked or burnt up a 465 yet.

Shifting is always firm, can be a little stubborn when cold. I don't give a rat's arse, cuz the wife doesn't drive it anyways. :D

6. Chevy305

Anyone even hear of running 50w oil in an SM465?

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I guess not... but ATF is thinner. I don't see a problem really. Many newer manuals use ATF also.

I figure the heavier lube reduces noise, increases cushioning, and perhaps longer life.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No,and I wouldn't!....

Motor oil alone isn't enough!..gears need "EP" (Extreme Pressure) lube,that will hold up under shearing stresses and metal to metal contact..I wouldn't use motor oil in a tranny..but GM evidently thought 10W-30 or 10W-40 was good enough for NP203 T-caes??..how they live is beyond me...:confused:

I'd use at least gear oil,if cold weather shifting difficulty occours you could use lighter weight gear lube,like 75W-90 or 85W-90,rather than straight weight 90W gear oil...Synthetic gear lube is far superior when cold shifting is a problem..I had a noisy SM465 I tried to quiet some by using 85W-140 gear lube, and a can of STP gear treatment..it was quieter,but the first time the temps dropped to 20 degrees I almost busted the shift lever off trying to get it in gear,and the truck would try to move forward in NEUTRAL,until the lube warmed up and thinned out!..:eek1:

I put 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube in it, and it shifted like new at any temparature,and it was a bit noisier,since it has lower viscosity,but I felt it offered better protection than regular petroleum gear lube..

I just watched my friend drain his '97 S-10's 5 speed tranny and refill it--has 150,000 miles on it,wanted to change out the lube..he found out it takes special GM Dealer only "Synchromesh" gear oil,that costs 7 bucks a quart!--no parts stores sell anything equivalant to it yet,we looked!..:doah:

....25 bucks worth,just to change the tranny oil!..sounds like a ripoff to me!--GM claims anything else will ruin the tranny--I have my doubts!..if it were mine I'd have used synthetic gear oil or "Royal Purple" stuff,if I had to spend that kind of money..I doubt any "damage" would be done!...:crazy:

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

In Ohio, at least, Carquest sells Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid in 1 qt. bottles for exactly that application. It literally flies off of the shelves, and sometimes is backordered for a while (that may be the supplier, though). I should know, because I work part-time there :doah:

It's still gotta be pretty pricy to fill a SM465 with synthetic gear oil!

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Price is a factor in my choice of gear lube.... $32(CDN) for a 20L (5gal) bucket... which I use in tranny's, t-cases, and axles :D

11. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I run extreme duty 80w90 in mine

12. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

80-90W w/lucas IMO 50W motor is to thin, but in a need to situation, all you could get was 50W, to get home I would use it right now. Then change it when I got home.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmm.....

We looked in several parts stores for the right lube--Amalie,Valvoline,and a few other brands had no listing on their lube charts for any equivilant to the GM "Synchromesh"fluid!..

But Auto-Zone does sell a "Synchromesh" gear oil,but the manager ,a guy I used to work with who ran a REAL parts store and knows his stuff,called the supplier of that gear oil, and they said it didn't meet the specification number GM lists in the S-10's owners manual,and advised against using it..I dont remember what brand it was,I can find out though..I thought this sounded fishy,and GM has a monopoly going if their fluid is the only one you can use!..

As for synthetic in a SM465,yes,it takes a whole gallon and isn't cheep--but you'll probably never have to change it again,unless it gets water in it,etc..could be costly if your tranny leaks,and synthetic leaks faster than plain gear oil will..I used 85W-140 in my old trucks with leaky T-cases,it leaks a lot slower!..:crazy:

14. Chevy305

Well 50w is pretty thick for motor oil. And it is synthetic.

But I suppose you guys are right, I think gear oil would be the better choice. But i think I will put in the lightest gear oil. Also before i put in the 50w the PO filled the tranny up to the top with gear oil. :eek1: I didn't really notice any difference in the tranny when I drained the 2 plus gallons of fluid out and replaced it with 50w oil.

15. Confedneck79K30

so only 1 gallon in a 465? and a 205 gets how much?

16. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i run the thick gear oil from vato zone, its not 80w90 though... maybe 120w150?

17. Confedneck79K30

18. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

Personally, I run marine (Mercruiser) gear oil in both my 465 & 205 plus my differentials. I also use marine grease (Blue) in every bearing and bushing I can get it in.

I've worked on marine engines and drives for a long time and have seen the difference when someone runs regular "gear oil" as compared to the marine grade.

19. Chevy305

Since most of us don't work on boats, could you please explain how marine gear oil is better?

20. Shiprekd

Shiprekd 1/2 ton status

Hopefully I can make this easy :O}

The "Marine grade" oils are formulated (additives) for extreme pressure and load carrying characteristics. They also inhibit foaming, oxidation and have excellent water seperating properties as well as rust preventatives.

Mobil has a nice page on their Marine lubricants which actually applies to almost all Marine grade oils.

http://www.exxonmobil.com/USA-English/Marine/PDS/GLXXENMRNEMMobilgear_600.asp

The Marine grease (blue) does the same thing as I stated but obviously is for bearings etc,,, (engine couplers, even to trailer bearings).

Drawbacks to using marine oils/grease? cost. It's definately a little more expensive to use but worth it. Especially if you hit mud and such.