Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever swap later d44 shafts into a pre-73 axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Mar 12, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have read that my truck has the weaker 260 u-joints and smaller shafts in the front axle. I haven't broken one yet, but that's because i haven't been on trails a lot. I've heard that later ones can't be swapped in easily, and i've also heard that it is a direct swap. Which is it? The big Englishtown Swap Meet is only a few weeks away and I wanna know now if I should just get a later d44 so I can start saving because there's lots there. How hard are these to swap into the earlier trucks? I heard it was a bolt in, but i want to make sure</font color=blue>

2. cocky

cocky Registered Member

I put a dana 44 out of a 74 1/2 ton pickup under my 70 blazer. It was a bolt in replacement but i had to do alot of brake work because the stock dana 44 had drum brakes

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Simply swaping the shafts was a dirrect swap for my 72K5
    If you have front disk I would say it's a direct swap if you have drum well then I don't know.
    One thing to consider is ORD's molyshafts, they are said to have the same streagth as a D60 axelshaft. The bad part is it will set you back 500bucks...
    Good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!