Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone ever swap shackels in the front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Jul 18, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i was wondering if any one out the shakles at the front os the springs like a heep has, then you could use longer shakles and it could help your angle out.

anyone ever tryed this?
    is it even do-able? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That would be a poor setup in my opinion. As the suspension compressed, the tires would move forward. This has been known in the past to give a harsh ride at times because as you hit an obstacle the tires start moving forward.

Those longer shackles that, "help angles" also destroy your caster, and reduce approach angle and ground clearance. I've seen guys plow those shackles into objects, bending the leaf springs.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Bad BAD idea! There's a reason why Jeep owners relocate their stuff to match ours. At least you're thinking outside the box though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i dident think it would work that well as i had never hurd of anyone doing it befor.
    who was it that said he was going to build the ultimt jeep by switching badges and other logos from his chevy to jeep stuff /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not exactly what i was talking about but thanks /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

"Why aren’t they longer yet? Extra length on a shackle gives you more caster (which isn’t too bad in moderation) and tips your front pinion down. The pinion angle can quickly get to the point that the yoke has to be clearance ground for the driveshaft to rotate. This can be a major problem and is the reason we keep the extra length to a minimum."

This was the part I meant for you to see. Just gives an explanation why it wouldn't be wise /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.akfabshop.com/alaskaoffroad/suspension.htm

go to the bottom and read his leaf spring stuff.

Here is a hint, big built jeeps have their shackles switched around to our setup, so if its an upgrade on a Jeep to not have that front shackle it would stand to reason its a downgrade for us, no?

9. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I had a guy tell me that he swapped his shackles to the front on his tractor pull truck to get the tires to bite and dig better; instead of pulling up off the ground they are pushed down into the surface.

I have seen swaps for ford guys putting the shackles where ours are for off-road use, and a better ride.

There is a guy on here (cant remember his name) who has a sweet blazer with shackles on the front and back of his leafs, with a 2-link setup to keep the axle centered. It's pretty sweet, and I've seen pics of them out there playing in the nud with their 44's, so I guess it works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i never thought that kind of set up would work, interesting though anyone have a pic of that i would really like to see that /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif