Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever swapped a 96-98 5.7 vortec or 99+ vortec 5.3 into their 87-91?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 5.0THIS, Dec 13, 2002.

1. 5.0THIS

5.0THIS Registered Member

Anyone ever done this? and with the engine the accompanying 4L60E tranny? How difficult was the task of tying in the newer harness and ECU into the dash of the blazer? Any thoughts anyone? thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Andy

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone ever swapped a 96-98 5.7 vortec or 99+ vortec 5.3 into their 87-

dude just buy the adapter intake and run a carb why make it tuffer then it allready is ???
    just my thoughts on the subject
    as i am planning to do the same but with a vortec 454 for a k 30 I am building

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I'm even suprised you're thinking of an LS1 generation block, Mr. LT1! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

96-98 Vortec would be much easier since the motor mounts would match but the LS1 (99+ Vortec) would have that WOW factor plus you would get more power from a stock 6.0 setup. Wiring would be a b*tch though. Believe it or not, if I had to do it over again, I would have a blown LT1 or LS1 in my K5 right now.

Might also think of just supercharging your current engine.

You going to the CSMA party?

BTW- Update your sig... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with swaping to a carb but if your hellbent on fuel injection then use the Holly setup. The wiring will be much easier than converting the stock one and that setup will handle later mods better if you decide to do any.
    My 383 vortec motor is ready to go into my 72 blazer next weekend.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I would think the wiring would be a total nightmare to be honest. The later the year of the vehicle, the more the harness for the ECU and everything else was integrated.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it's not going to be easy at all. You'd probably need to get the manuals for the year of setup you planned on going with to see what you'd be getting into, and compare them to an 87-91 manual. (especially wiring of course)

On top of that, the 5.3's (I think the whole series) is having a fair amount of problems with piston slap. I'm not sure if this is something thats been corrected, or just a fairly common occurence that isn't inherent in every one of these motors. Check on the '88 up board, as well as doing a search on the net. Some of these motors are really starting to sound horrible.

The Vortec setups are CFI, so if you got the whole setup, it would obviously be easier, but for the time you'll spend doing it, TPI from an 80's-early 90's Camaro on an older motor would be a better option IMO. You'd have to go even later than that to get the 4L60E though, and again, you'd be dealing with more wiring than GM had thought of in the late 80's early 90's, meaning it will be harder to retrofit.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

My buddy put a '98 Vortec 454 in his 87 K30.... but he swapped in the 4L80E, dash, column, and all the wiring too /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

A little bit of fab work to say the least. Used 92-95 S10 Vortec fuel pumps on the stock sending units in the stock saddle tanks (blew up the fuel tank switcher, so he just tee'd the supply lines together with check valves, and switched the return lines.)

The trick would be to get the thing running in the truck, with the newer harness intact, then work at splicing things like taillights, cluster, etc into it - rather than the other way around.

7. 5.0THIS

5.0THIS Registered Member

thanks there Shawn, you're always too helpful bud! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

BTW, have fun with Tits tonight at the meeting? How big is that chain around your neck anyway? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif