Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever taken the doors off a POWER window?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82Jimmy, Aug 4, 2000.

1. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I see tons of jeep people going without doors and not getting tickets or looked at funny....so i think i may try it, if its not too much trouble. Anyone done this?

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont think that is legal. I dont exactly know all the legal jargin that hovers around this issue but it comes down to one ticketable point. The said vehicle(jeep) was designed to have removable doors. Upon rollover, structural integrity will not be comprimised due to factory tested and DOT approved roll cage. Structural integrity is maintained by combination of door pillars, door frame, and miniscule roll bar( by comparison) in other trucks and SUV's. Long story short if, if it aint factory your getting a ticket. If you are sitting back and asking yourself. Yes, took off the doors. And that is the specheel( what i can remember of it) the DMV( in NC they are the cops of cops) officer told me while writting me a repair citation.

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I run my '73 with the doors off all the time here in Ca and have even talked to cops from my vehicle without them saying a word about no doors. I've also done it in Virginia and only had one cop tell me it was illegal, when I challenged this, he backed down and refused to give me a ticket. Also I've never had Military Police say anything about it when I lived on base.

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

You don't by chance have a pic of your '73 without doors? My girlfriend keeps wanting to see it but with my rig out for repairs she isn't getting her wish.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Registered Member

I ran with doors in Missouri for awhile.

When I moved to Albany, GA I called the State Highway Patroll and local police and it is legal....
    However on my miltary installation it is not....

Can't wait till I move to HotLanta in Sept....Doors and Top are coming off, weather permitting....

Jimbo

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

No, sorry, I don't have a pic of it yet. I'll try to get one in a couple of weeks when I get back fron Hawaii.

7. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i'm thinking about doing this to my doors as well. i have power windos/locks and found in the LMC catalog there's a kit that removes the little wire "tunnel" that runs from your door to the body. it creates two metal points, one on the door and one on the body, and the power works when the door is shut and the points touch, when the door is open they are apart....
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT.

http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Hey bro, I run with my doors of almos year round. I have never had a problem with the law. I've run in Texas, Ok. ,Colorado, Utah. All without a hitch. As far as my power windows went, I just used disconects from my shop, aka speaker terminals male and female, I did however ditch the boot, It made it to difficult to disconnect my windows and locks. If you go to my site, witch really needs to be updated, you can see it without doors and with my wife!!!
    Sinc that pic, I lined the interior and actually removed the pins from the hinges so it looks much better now.
    Good luck and Good Day! DBLAZER

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

whats your address?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

www.Dblazer.coloradok5.com, if you were talking to me. ;)

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

11. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

My old babysitter's husband was a state cop. He 'said' it was illegal. I had a CJ in the 80's, always had the doors off and was never pulled over. Might be one of those deals were if your pulled over, and either you or the police have an attitude, then its a problem. I've always had tinted windows. The only time I was ticketed and made to remove the tint is when I got smart with the man.