Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANyone ever thought about making their own flood lights?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if it was ever thought of taking one of these 1,000,000 Candle Power spot lights and removing them from their portable cases and mounting them to a fixed location on one's rig!? Anyone ever thought of going that route for brightness? I've been researching cost effective ways to eluminate the trail! I'm looking for the most candle power for the dollar and these cheap spotlights come to mind... I'm sure I could put the bulb in a flood light housing and get a better effect than just a three foot circle of light.... I also found these:
    VectorBeam™ Technical Specifications:
    [​IMG]
    Model: 500 watt
    Lamp Unit

Lamp
    Air cooled 500 watt short Arc Xenon Lamp

Lamp Life
    >1500 hours (manufacturers warranty 500 hours)

Beam Divergence
    1.5° - 5° standard motorized

Beam Intensity
    10,000,000 Candle power evenly across whole beam, without hot-spot
    VactorBeam

But I doubt they would be cost effective!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

But I doubt they would be cost effective!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    no

but i bet that no one would ever bright light you again.

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Yup, Two for the front, And one for the rear! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if you do a search there was a light discussed. i think a tractor flood light from northern tools. this was a long tima ago but it was 9.99 it was a 100 watt light and had a black rubber outside if iirc. i want to say it was 5 inches but im not positive. all hell i look for it for you.

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I've got two of those but they really aren't that bright! I'm looking for daylight! I hated not seeing what I'm crawling over! I once had to crawl out of the rocks in the rain with the top off, and only stock lights.... It sucked so bad it was unbelieveable!!!!! I'm really just kicking around ideas, but couldn't you imagine two of those VectorBeam lights mounted on the roof of the K5!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

well i just found it but since you doont need it. those would be awesome but what kind of alternator would you ned to run em?

few ideas

find a trailblaxer light bar. (they are out of business but my buddies had 10 lights forward 10 back and 2 out each side.)

find a jy that specializes in fire trucks ambulances, police cars ect. there is one in mccomb mississippi about 3 hours away. they have spots on everything out there.

i will look when i go to drill this weekend and see whats the supplier on our spotlights in th coast guard. they are a great source of daylight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif gotta be cheap for the cg to use em we break the exspensive stuff /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

if you use the million power handhealds rig up a mounting thing and put a cig plug somewhere close. i think they run or charge off the cig lighter

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

if you have those tractor housing. do what you shoudl have done when ya first bought em. pop the stock light out and pop in a sylvania bulb #4509 it's a aircraft light that fits right in there, they are 100w bulbs with a 100,000 candle power. they also have a flood beam that is way wide /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif they are about $11 each.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

can you get those from any parts store?

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I know knechts has em. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. mudhog

cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks Willy! I'll look for those!
    As for service lights, I can't use anything from the Army, it's all 24V and bright light scares the Army! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'll try that bulb idea! What about repairing the reflectiveness? Can I use the crome spray paint?

Also, Anyone got any secrets or tips on interior lights.. I put my CB antenna right where the interior light is and I want a better light anyways.... Thanks for the tips! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Who is knechts? Never heard of them! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, Anyone got any secrets or tips on interior lights.. I put my CB antenna right where the interior light is and I want a better light anyways

[/ QUOTE ]
    how about the swivel map lights?

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I have an overhead center console that I could use, but hte mounting surface is flat and the roof is bowed... I'd have to make something work there! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

we're oregon only, we just opened are 25th store.

the light is a sealed beam assemble. so it has it's own reflective piece. are your tractor housings the ones like the peterson brand, like a rubber set up with a moutning tab??

16. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

They have 5 pieces to them...
    1 A plastic screen that goes over the front.
    2 A Plastic ring that keeps the clear plastic lens in place...
    3 A clear plastic lens
    4 A plastic backing to the housing
    5 The glass housing that sits inside and holds the removable bulb...

The bulb slides in and has a flat part that the two wires sit against... Kind of like the side marker lights.....IIRC /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hmmm the housings I was thinking of are the ones off from petersen for tractors and they are about $5 or $6 bucks. come with sealed bean 55 watt bulbs

poor spelling but I left it alone, kinda funny

18. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I would take pics but it's darker than crap outside.... Do you have a image of the bulbs? These bulbs are sealed too, but the housing is seperate from the bulb! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

19. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

When did New Technology/Trailblazer go out of buisness? I just talk with them a year or two ago.....

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author