Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever towed with a V8 Toyota Landcruiser???

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Greg72, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The 1998+ Landcruisers come with a pretty decent V8 (~320 Lbs of Torque) and are rated to tow 6500 Lbs...

Unfortunately, that is REALLY cutting it close weight-wise for my 5000Lb K5 and dual-axle trailer setup. I don't know what a trailer typically weighs, I was guessing around 2500Lbs???

I might have access to one for next years BlazerBash in Moab...I don't need to climb any really steep hills anymore to get there (Sierras, Rockies, etc) but it IS 2000 miles each way... If the "BBC Burb" isn't ready in time (which it probably won't be) I am wondering if this 'Crusier might be able to get me and my junk there safely, and without completely burning up either the motor or trans in the process????

Mostly I'm just brainstorming and thinking out loud, but I'd be interested to hear any ideas or experiences.

:usaflag:

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

We had an '00 Tundra with the same motor and towed 5500-6000 pounds regularly with it with no issues. The 4.7 really pulls well for its size and gets decent fuel economy doing it, at least in the Tundra it does. Dont be afraid to wind the motor up on hillclimbs if you need to, they are built for it.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Only towed a light load once with a Tundra but it had much more power than I expected. Joez is right, they're built to be wound up when you need/want power.

As for the weight. My trail truck and trailer weigh in at about 8,000 without gear, spares, or fuel. However, that was when I still had the top, tailgate, and a lot more sheetmetal. The specs on my trail truck are in my sig and my trailer is a dual axle, 18 foot deck, 10,000 pounder with slide in ramps. You can get the actual "trailer weight" down by loading it onto the tongue if you're worried about legality, but that won't help you when it comes to towing manners.

Overall, I don't think it'd be enjoyable, but I think it would be doable.

4. Greg72

I have been thinking about one of those "Load Leveler" systems (regardless of what my tow vehicle ends up being)....to help with the saggy butt. I think they also incorporate sway control. From a safety perspective I'd think I'd be OK....(the trailer has electric brakes on both axles).

My real concern is more towards figuring out how much my trailer/K5 combo actually weighs, and then how well the Crusier would do trying to pull it from a dead stop, and keep it moving down the highway..... :thinking:

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have the brake controller properly set up you really shouldn't have to worry about stopping.

As I said, I think it'd be doable, but not comfortable. One thing a lot of people forget about is wind resistance. Our Ford will yank my rig off the line but at 75 a lot of that is lost to drag. I passed a few people on two lane roads the last time I was towing but it was hitting 1200 degrees and 35 psi :eek1:

I say load it up and take it for a cruise.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

A load distributing hitch would deffinately not be a bad idea when towing something that large with something that small. We used to tow a 28' camping trailer with a K5 and used a load distributing setup. It worked just fine. I dont know how familiar you are with the LD hitch setup but you can choose whether or not to use the sway control, its kid of a shock type thing that attaches to its own two little balls, one on the trailer and one on the hitch. It is seperate from the large spring arms that distribute the load. We never used it.

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I think you would be fine as long as the Cruiser is properly equipped, and you pack light. I would be sure the trailer doesn't weigh too much, as some trailers made for hauling equipment could be way more then 2500 lbs. Don't fool yourself thinking that there aren't any mountain climbs between the east coast and Moab. There are quite a few long rolling hills through PA and OH, and three killer passes in CO that are as high as 10,000 feet. I am also thinking of planning to go out to Blazer Bash next year, so keep in touch, and we can meet up somewhere and travel together.

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive never had one ( im way too young to afford one) but I know someone with one and we used it once or twice to tow our 20 foot center console. It was on a somewat small trailer.....maybe 1000 lbs. The total weight couldnt have been more than 5K. It pulled OK. I dont know with a big trailer and a k5 behind it though. I say it will work....but take it easy on it. Just dont try to be in a hurry up a long steep mountain hill. If your the only one doing 30, at least you have a nice k5 on the trailor. :D
    Anyways...I guess the best way is to hook it up and take it for a test drive.
    Im still wayyy too young (working on a business degree in college), but one day I hope to tow my k5 to the trail with a nice duramax diesel. That is...if by the time im able to afford one they come out with sfa. If not...i might just transplant a duramax into an 80's sub. :bow:
    -Harrison

9. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Should do fine.

If I can pull a K5, a swb 4x4 and a C10 swb big block truck with the wife's TrailBlazer having an I6 you should be fine. (yes, one @ a time)
    My trailer's only a tandem 16 footer though.

My biggest issue's were tires (not rated for towing) and a weak a$$ end (suspension).
    Take care of those issue's along with the beefed up hitch and I'd say your good to go.

I hope I have my over drive ironed out before leaving for Moab next year.
    I'd hate to make that drive with my 4:11's. :doah:

10. Greg72

Well.....I guess in light of recent events, I could just hook up my trailer and TRY it for real... :wink1:

11. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, come on up and pick up me & the blazer and we'll go to Rhode Island
    and attend their anniversary.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155769

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Greg, I assume its a wood decked trailer. When i want to save weight I pull all the center boards off my trailer. Saves a little weight, and if your on the limit it could help.