Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever tried swapping to a NP205?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 89GMCSuburban, Nov 21, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My buddy has a 98 Z71 Suburban with autotrac that's on its 3rd T-case. It's now broken...again. He's tired of the electric crap and the weak T-case and wants to try and swap to a NP205...anyone tried to do this?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

What kind of tranny? I know some people that have done it With the 5 speed, but at the same time they converted to a solid front axle. The Chev 205 front comes out on the passenger side. You might have to look into a Ford version so the front driveline will work.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

4L60E, pretty much a 700R4

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I swapped a 205 into my truck with a 700r4 and if they are pretty much the same its not that difficult.Only problem is youd have to use a ford 205 with a gm th350 input gear and get the tailshaft from AA to go into the 4l60e.That way youd get the Well that might not work either.I was thinking you could swap the input shaft on the 205 so you dould use the chevy tailshaft but the gears probably turn the wrong way also........Go solid axle,it worked for me.......seriously theres got to be a way.....Have you talked to ORD yet.They can hook you up....

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You could also swap in a np241. Alot less problems than the autotrac stuff and you have the reassurance of the good 'ol lever on the floor. Add that and a posi-loc for the front diff and your set.

6. tjayandlisa

tjayandlisa Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    4L60E, pretty much a 700R4

[/ QUOTE ]
    The newer 98 4l60e is the unboltable bellhousing version and uses the circular bolt patern like the t400(not the four bolt square as the previous 700r4/4l60)advanced adapters does make a kit to go from 4l60e unboltable to 700r4, then you have to buy the 700r4 kit to whatever transfer you want as for the ford 205 you could swap in a gm input shaft, but would have to find bearing that would work..The ford input shaft uses the larger bearing...anything is possible but at a large expense...I would suggest as willys said and swap in the 241..they are a fairly strong case with 2:72 to 1 low range Also they are clocked up higher then the 205 to clear tbar supports...