Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever tried this.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Moody, May 17, 2006.

1. Moody

Moody 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of putting my 70 K5 back together and haven't made up my mind on which tranny I'm going to use. My engine is a 406 with vortec heads, comp XE268 cam, weiand action plus intake and quadrajet carb. My running gear will be HO72 with detroit locker and 4.10's with a Dana 44 up front. At this time I'm planning on running 36 Iroks. I've pretty much ruled out a 700R4 because I don't think it will stand up to the torque my motor will make and I don't want to be replacing the tranny anytime soon. I'm not sure I want to go the TH400/205 route due to moving engine/transfer case etc and factory TH400/205 are kinda hard to find. However I was thinking about rebuilding my TH350 and using a 2.75 gear set for a deeper first gear. This would be better than the factory first gear but not quite as deep as a 3.08 in the 700R4. I could still use my current 205 transfer case without moving anything around and I know a guy who could build it to hold up to the motor. Sorry If I'm rambling....just want to know if this is a good/bad idea or if anyone else has tried this setup........

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

if the 700 is built right you should have no problems plus you add the benfit of overdrive so you can keep the RPM's down at higher speeds

3. Moody

Moody 1/2 ton status

Overdrive would be an added benefit but I won't be doing much freeway driving. With 36's and 4.10's my rpm's should be around 2500 with a TH350. I am more concerned with reliability and off-road performance.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

if you don't need overdrive run the TH350