Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever use a Midland 79-290 or a Magnum 257?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by divorced, Nov 26, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm wanting to get a new radio for my semi to replace my Northstar 4000 and I was looking at either the Midland 79-290 or a Magnum 257. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? I plan to use only the 11 meter band. I think I read somewhere that the Midland isn't made anymore, but there seems to be some still available.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have the midland and love it. I run it through an amp and a Wilson 5000 and I have a ton of range. The only aggravation is the "security" removable faceplate.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What is aggravating about the security face plate? The removable face plate is something I really like about it and I would take it off every day.

4. cbbr

I broke the little plastic internal clip that holds it on. I don't know if its a common problem or not.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

it is. unfortunately i bought my 79-290 off of ebay and it is non working. gonna try to get it fixed.

i read a few pages on people being pissed about the plastic piece breaking off.

i have taken mine off and on about 100 times trying to fix it with no prbs, so who knows

6. cbbr

I fixed mine by taking the top off of the radio, installing the faceplate and putting a drop of supeglue on the broken part. It works great, but I'm afraid to detach the face because I'm sure that it will break again.

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Well, I will erase the 79-290 from my shopping list. Thanks guys for the feedback.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

After a quick glance at the 79-290, I would think something like a RCI 2950, a President Lincoln, a Galaxy 99v, or many other “export” radios would more then fit the bill. I personally prefer the 10 meter converted for 11 meter radios mainly for the 6 digit freq counter. (Not all have 6 digit counters.) Comes in quite handy if you talk much sideband. Also seams like the export radios have better modulation as well as receive better. I’m looking for a 100% stock President HR-2600 too do a “chipswitch” on. More then I’ll ever need, but still want it. Being able too split freq (transmit on one freq and receive on another) is nice. But who you’re talking too needs the same ability. Makes for a very private conversation. Something that can be difficult on the air ways. Export radios may technically be illegal for use on 11 meter here in the United States, but there are thousands of them out there being used as CB’s. Everybody hears horror stories about the FCC confiscating export radios and ticketing people for having them. Honestly, in all my years of having them, in all my years of knowing people that have them, I’ve never personally met anyone who has gotten in trouble over one. Heck, there are many companies that sell them the public, and most of them will convert the radios for a small fee when you order it. I wouldn’t think they could do all that of the export radios were the big no no some try too claim they are.