Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever use a "Powerglide" in a 4x4??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Nov 23, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think GM ever used one factory in a 4x4,but I was wondering if anyone else ever tried adapting one to a transfer case!..I saw an old '64 GMC truck the other day with the divorced rockwell T-case,and the guy put a Powerglide tranny in it many years ago in place of its original 4 speed,so his wife could drive it too..(I thought it was kind of a downgrade,but he said the tranny was going anyway--had been run low on gear oil :doah: )...

I've had several older Chevy cars and 2wd's with Powerglides,and though they only have "Low" and "Drive",I beat them all pretty badly and never had any problems with them..also see them in dragsters with "air shift",that have over 600 hp!..and dirt track cars use lots of them too,so they cant be that weak..

I was wondering if anyone ever "married" one to a NP205 or other case that wasn't a divorced one..??..they have the same tail splines as a TH350,and are the same overall length--but I cant recall if they had a removeable tail housing or not,like a TH350 does.. :confused: .. :crazy:

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

That crappy first gear isnt too good on the trail. Not exactly the best for crawling. Thinking about it you probly would have to go divorced. They are the same length as a 2 wheel drive TH350. A "K" TH350 is shorter. I first learned about this the hard way. Tried to hook up a 2wheel THG350 to a NP208. Then after fighting for a couple hours, I measured. Maybe just to be different but I wouldnt do it. I had a couple cars that had powerglides when I got 'em. Swapped in TH350's. I once grenaded one in a 69 Chevelle. Blew the motor in that car too. Good Times!! :haha:

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They're becoming popular in buggies. I'd rather keep a TH350... not much bigger yet you can get aftermarket planetaries to give you a lower gear.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes, some west coast buggies guys are running them. Campbell Enterpirses had an adapter list on their page in the past... I think it was for an Atlas case though.

One plus would be that there is a huge aftermarket following them.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I dunno about in a 4x4 but the powerglide owns on the drag strip. You are at 65 mph and just shifting into drive while the guy with the manual has made 2-3 shifts. :waytogo:

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'll bet it could be adapted easily.

2 speeds, fast and faster :haha: