Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever use one of these things?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

2. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

All those are really are a normal heater core stuffed in a box with a multi speed pusher fan on them. Easy enough to make with a rehostat control (sp), taurus fan, and a heater core.

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Yea $179. I think you could build it cheaper.

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I took this out of the sleeper of a cabover semi truck. I also found some old cab fans which mount perfect with the holes and just h ad to shorten the blades about 1/2 inch to clear. I am using this in my truggy since I have pitched all the heater stuff. Will prob mount under the cage dash bar on the pass side then take some dryer vent or PVC or something to route up for a defrost.

DSC02362.JPG

DSC02361.JPG

5. Zeus33rd

That thing prolly puts out some heat. Where did you get it...truck junk yard I assume?

6. MNorby

we have a couple junked out trucks on the ranch for misc parts. I got it out of that. If you can find a truck salvage to go through. The newer ones didn't have them just the one older truck (prob 85 or something compared to the 90s ones). This one was on the driver side under the sleeper in the little storage door that you access from the little door right behind the drivers door. Might also look in older loaders and various implement. Our kamatsu loader and cat load have heaters similar too. If I come across another I'll let ya know. I've check all our other truck and no luck so far.

7. MNorby

I'm also thinking I saw them in summit racing for like $75 or so. Look in the jeep section. I was looking into one of those before I found these. Maybe another idea. Can't remember the price off hand but don't think it was $175 by any means.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bus heater!..

I took an old school bus heater that went under one of the rear seats ,and mounted it in a wire milk crate for the rear of my 72 K5..it would melt snow off the roof at the rate of 6" in about 10 minutes,and with a 195 thermostat,I never was cold in it again,ever!..:D

My friend had a 73 Volvo 144,its heater blower motor seized,and the heater core leaked too..so he bypassed the hoses..it was going to be an "all day sucker" to fix,because Volvo must have put the blower and heater core in the center of the car,and built the car around it!..he liked my bus heater in my Blazer,and decided to make one similar,after balking at the 125+ dollar price of a "under seat" heater from the "Zero-Start" catolog..and didn't feel like taking his entire dash apart,and paying big bucks for an oem heater core and blower motor..

He simply used an old GM heater blower motor and fan I had lying around ,from one of the many vehicles I parted out,and mounted it in one of those marine battery boxes we sold cheap at the parts store..just cut holes in it for the fan,2 defroster hoses,and had to hole saw his firewall to let the heater hoses in...it threw a TON of heat,but it wasn't pretty!..after living here in the winter,you tend to not care about looks when its only 10 degrees out for months!..(car was a junker anyway,and wasn't really worth fixing "right")..he kept the "heater box" after he scrapped the car a year later,and used it in his next "beater",a 67 Impala ,mounted in the trunk!..:p:

I'm sure those factory built ones work great,but for the price they get for them,they'ed BETTER!..:rolleyes: --I say get some plywood or a plastic tote box,and make your own,or go see if the boneyard has any school busses(most have a lot of them)..:D ..no need to freeze!.or

9. Zeus33rd

I wonder why I never thought about checking out an old bus heater or somthin...I bet I could get one of those for like $20. Duh. Thanks for the suggestions. :)