Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever use these things before?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Dec 17, 2003.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I wonder how well they work?
    [​IMG]

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

There was a piece on the Ntl news last night about snowmobilers in Yellowstone. One of the other things in a clip they had was a 4x4 ford tour-van with those rascals on it. They didn't have any comment on the tour vehicle side of it, but it looked gloomy for the snowmobilers.
    ALso saw in some of their ad's where they're used in northern pipeline operations.
    Sure would be a blast to try 'em! (assuming it wasn't a 1/2 day ordeal to mount 'em!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

According to the ad Clicky they only take the same amount of time as a tire.

It would be neat to see how they would do though, I wonder if they would let CK5 do a test on them if we asked real nice?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

They work well from the video's I've seen. Very low contact pressure so they're especially good in deep snow and other soft terrain.

Of coure they do run about $12,000 to $15,000...

Rene

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Had a bit on the discovery channel(?) about these things. Believe it was "tactical to practical", and they showed them in sand.

They put them on a big ford, up against a Chev with some decent tires on it. (of course with my limited wheeling, I wasn't the best judge of how they conducted the "test") The Ford did a lot better than the Chev.

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine who is into quads saw one in glamis-gordons well area blowin through the dunes in yuma at turkey-day. They aren't a bad idea in theory. Used to be a kit real similar for quads in the mid 90's. For the price I'll just by an ARB'd Dynatrac 60 and some 40+ XL's /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

here you go: mattracks they had these on the show Trucks on TNN a long time ago. I would love to have a set for my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

8. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive seen them on a CUCV at Bridgeport CA it was nice looking I watched them in action and they seem to work well..

9. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Those things look pretty badass. Especially in the snow and sand. They look funny in the rough terrain video when they are going over the logs. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

wonder how much lift is required to get em to fit?

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    wonder how much lift is required to get em to fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

none they are real small at the top where they fit into your wheel well and they bolt on in 5 minutes each. to bad they are so damn expensive.

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They are less than 24" in diameter towards the top. Fit real easily and bolt on like a regular wheel. I wonder how much torque is needed for them and how much stress they cause?

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

For power/gearing, it should be equivalent to swapping on really small tires. This probably limits your top speed even if the track design doesn't, but who cares? Whatever you plan to run these in, you're gonna want *equivalent* low gearing anyway. The effective gearing should be the same as running tires the diameter of that top wheel in the track.

From everything I've read, they only bolt on to your wheel studs, but I wonder if there isn't something else to limit their movement. I mean, you would want them to rotate a bit to match the terrain, but what keeps one from turning forward or back and chewing up the fenders?

I wonder if they are street legal since they are rubber? Sure would hate to see track-wear end the life of these, since they cost so much.

14. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

If you watch the videos you can see the rotation, especially on the rough terrain video. Looks pretty good, although I can't tell what the limiting factor is or if there is one (but there must be).

15. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you watch the videos you can see the rotation, especially on the rough terrain video. Looks pretty good, although I can't tell what the limiting factor is or if there is one (but there must be).

[/ QUOTE ]

there is a limiting bar attached to the truck so that the tracks cant rotate. that is why they take about 5 minutes each to hook up. the mouting bracket for the bar stays attached to the truck even after you remove the tracks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif