Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever used this product?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Dec 1, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

LMC lists a product called ColorBond (i.e. part # 37-8381) which is supposed to change the color of the vinyl in your truck. I want to know how well it works - it'd be a cheap way to make all my seats the same color. :) They claim that it doesn't chip or crack, etc - that it actually changes the color on a molecular level. Have any of you used this? What's your experience? BTW, if i use it, I would be going from that almost baby blue and red colors to either "saddle" (tanish) or black. Don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks.

colbystephens.

ps: if any of you have a set of seats in perfect condition of my requested color which you'd be willing to have to my door for less than $50, let me know. :rolleyes:

2. colbystephens

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Changing interior color on my project - called a store that sells this (local to me). They said it does bond to the plastic and vinyl but it can still be scratched with enough force. So.... not conclusive, I hope to try it or similar products soon and I will post up :wink1:

4. 2Dogs

Do you already have the tan pieces (except for the seats)?

5. colbystephens

if you're referring to me having tan vinyl and no seats to put it on, no. i have seats but no tan. :) some of my seats are red, some are blue. i'd like them to be tan, or (my second option) black. i guess with enough force, anything can be scratched. :)

colbystephens.

6. 2Dogs

I have tan stuff, door panels, kick plates, etc.... The seats are in bad shape, probably not worth shipping.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think the vinyl dye stuff is just like the "rust destroying" or "super hard" paints that supposedly never come off.

The claims are a little grandiose. They may be great products, but don't exactly live up to their billing.

I've heard SEM's vinyl dye is great stuff as well, but even that seems to wear off after awhile.

It's just better to get interior the right color in the first place IMO. Trade or sell what you've got to someone in the same situation you are. I picked up my entire tan seat set for $100, and they were in nice shape. Turned around and sold them for that when I found the right color seats to replace them.