Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone ever work at a Jiffy Lube or other Lube type place?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JohnnyFresno, Aug 16, 2002.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I applied for a job at one of these places and I don;t know to much about it. I know how to change Oil, Disc Brakes and other basic stuff, but not much else. It looks like they are going to hire me also. I just wanted to know what other type of work is done at these place, I know nothing major is performed but any insight as to what else is done would help me out greatly to prepare for the job. I don;t want to go in there and look like a total idiot. Btw It only pays like 7-8 dollars and hour so I shouldnt have to know all that much right?

Thanks

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

They do alot of stuff. Tranny,radiator,and axle work. Also air conditioning.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well it seems to me that they would make sure that you could do all the stuff befor they hired you..

Bryan

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A friend of mine worked at one for a while.. The pay sucked.. But they did have him go to a lot of classes and they payed for it...

5. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

I worked at a Jiffy Lube in Redmond WA for exactly one year. At first it was great. Then after working in the pit for 4 months straight, I hated it. The pay wasnt horrible for my first job, but i would rather be washin cars for the same pay. If you work there be prepared to get burned and cut on a constant basis.

The one That I worked at serviced everything on your car that required fluid except for AC.

Dont be worried about knowing everything befor you start, you get trained on how to service the other parts.

Also be prepared to be busy the whole day. In my neck of the woods 99.9% of the people get their oil changed by someone rather than themselves. But I would drive to another store about 20 miles away and they were empty. WTF!!

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i got a question for yall too...do they actually do the chassis lube they say they do? All the cars and trucks I've seen serviced at these places don't seem like they get it...jsut curoius.

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't think most of them now where to look for the fittings and that there are more then 2..

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I never liked Jiffy Lube. Every one I've called used Pensoil. I refuce to run that crap in my motors. I'll only run Valvoline.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

amen brother i hate penzoil /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i also only run valvoline /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Not only that, they don't know that a Duramax holds TEN quarts of oil..... the computer they use says 8- so that's what they put in......... not that MINE has been changed by a rip me off lube.......numerous people on dieselpage have stated this! so I guess for 7-8 bucks an hour you don't really have to know that much.

Brandy

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

PEOPLE WHO KNOW /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

OH, so you don't like Pennzoil? Thats all I run in my engine, seems ok. Everything else I use Valvoline for though.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I never worked in the pit, thank gawd! But it's a good place to get started (key-word there)
    If they offer you any kind of training - take it.
    If they offer to pay for your ASE cert. tests- take 'em up on it. (it looks good on a job application)

It's a fast-paced job that will probably beat-you up a bit.
    Allways double check everything, If you don't remember checking something, or tightening something - go back and check it again - mistakes are very costly.

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    PEOPLE WHO KNOW

[/ QUOTE ]

Yerp!

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

First time I rebuilt a engine I used Pensoil. This motor had solid lifters. As y'all know, on a solid lifter motor, ya have to readjust the valve lash. Sence rebuilding, everything was very clean. One week after I got it running, (With Pensoil in it) I pulled the valve covers to reset the valve lash. The inside of those valve covers had major sludge build up. I haven't used Pensoil sence then !!!!

16. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm sure right after a rebuild any engine is gonna have junk in it. I have also heard that Pennzoil used to be pretty bad, but it good now. Really, I think they are all pretty much the same except for synthetics.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not like this. I've seen motors that haven't had the valve covers off in years that didn't have no where near as much of a sludge build up as the Pensoil coused. Looked like 2 inches of snot. This rebuild was about 20 years ago, I don't know if Pensoil has improved sence then, but I'm still not useing it.

18. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

When I worked @ jiffy lube, we used quakerstate 99% of the time and the other 1% was when the costomer requested penzoil because it "sounds cooler"