Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone every put a Buick Big Block in

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazinzuk, Apr 27, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Might be getting a free 455 buick. Anyone every do this. I know BOP bellhousing but I don't know about motor mounts. Any other pitfalls?

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

if i remember correctly, the water pump is on the other side of the radiator for the lower hose, so would need a custom radiator. Exhaust is definately going to be tight and might need notching/ reinforcing.

3. KevinsK5

KevinsK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

use the Buick

Hell ya, do it. I have a '70 Buick skylark with a 455. A 455 Buick has awesome torque with pre-75 heads. I looked into this swap for my truck. For a stick you'll need a BOP bellhousing and a 455 only flywheel. If you're using an automatic I bet you could find a car transmission case and change the tailshaft. Other than that, the rest is just little stuff. You'll have to fab motor mounts, water pump outlet is on the same side as a chevy so you can use your radiator, the distributer is in the front, and Buicks are known for oiling problems. If you use the stock manifolds you should have plenty of clearance, but I don't think you'll have an other option but manifolds. Hope that helps. Kevin

4. blazinzuk

The motor came out of a chevy truck. it had been put there earlier by someone I don't know they used a BOP adaptor plate which I will probably use everything but the alternator is on the engine Including the flexplate and the plugs and everything. I will probably use the stock manifolds for now but might just build some headers for it. Thanks for the reply I can't wait to tear into the motor

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

enigne mounts and the brackets for them that bolt to the block is what you need

im sure ones from any olds or poncho or caddy or buick engine would work

i may still have a pair of the brackets from a 350 olds from an 81 c-10

not sure

6. blazinzuk

They are on the engine but thanks though