Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone fab custom bumpers or hitchs? I gotta question!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Dec 13, 2001.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am having a welder make front and rear bumpers for me. They are the same shape as the SEC's only they are not boxed in. They are 3/16th sheet with the brackets made of 1/2" stuff. I had the brackets made separate from the bumper so I can fine tune them to fit with the body lift. Anyway I want to weld in a 2" hitch in the front and rear, but I dont know if the bumper is strong enough to pull with. Also, I want to attach recovery hoops but I have the same dilemma, would it hold? These are not done yet so I have no pics, 2 more weeks! If anyone has any info on where I can buy just the raw 2" hitch to weld in the bumper, or a place that sells hoops, or clevis mounts that would be cool, I am not having any luck with the search engines...
    ANY info is greatly appreciated!!

2. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

I would mount the clevis`s or hooks to the 1/2`` plates you are ataching to the frame. I would have to see a picure to comment about the reciever. 3/16`` plate is still pretty stout. If your bumper is like a box and you could weld the reciever to two plates, front and back,I would not worry at all. I have been welding for about 16 years for a living.