Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone familiar with modern VW engines?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by homemadesin, Dec 31, 2002.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

I've got a '74 Porsche 914 (yeah, boxey Karmann Ghia with Porsche emblems) that is ripe for engine transplant. Instead of doing the oft' done 350 swap, I would like to keep it in the family and put in a VW engine...like a 1.8 Turbo or similar. Anyone know if VW made an engine that could be swapped? I'm assuming that since the 914 engine/tranny set-up is traditional, that a front wheel drive engine won't work...am I off base?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

HEHEHEHE!!!!! , my bro put a 440 police intercepter in the front of his karmen giah, it's REAL fun to drive.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

My buddy is selling his '67 bug with a stroked 1.8L, its a 2.3 now! The rods are as big as the ones in my small block!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It is one BAD A$$ motor!

4. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

You might try this place. It's a VW hybrid/swap forum.

vw vortex

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My uncle was tellin me about a guy he went to high school with that put a 396 BBC into a VW Bug! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif He told me the engine took up all the normal space and all of the backseat area and that the guy had to put sandbags in the front to balance it.

6. xplosuv

xplosuv 1/2 ton status

Check out this link web page it has some good info on swaps. I think the boltr patteren would be the same up to the late 90's Before I decided to sell my 911 I was going to do the 350 conversion when I blew up the motor. Well I blew it up racing and decided to just have the porsche engine rebuilt, What a mistake after doing more research on the conversion I found that a sbc 350 with alum heads and intake would be 60 lighter than the stock 3.0 engine and would double the horse power. and the whole conversion would be cheaper than rebuilding the top end of the porsche engine. A 350 in your 914 would be a bat outta hell, the power to weight ratio would be sweet...