Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Familiar with the EPA Superfund program?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 1, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Too lazy to research it right now...:)

I'm thinking of buying a 60-acre EPA Superfund cleaned up landfill and building a racetrack or something over it... Maybe a snowmobiling park, offroading/ATV park, heck even a big ole campsite.

The EPA hasn't been horribly forthcoming with info, though...

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Shooting RANGE!

3. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

Superfund Sites

I will tell you what I can remember about them. I messed with this stuff in a former life. The Superfund was designed to go for big pockets to clean up sites that were grossly polluted. The big problem with the Act was it ran out of money. Most of the Superfund sites are pretty stagnant. The deep pockets were apparently not deep enough. If you are going to by a piece of property to build something on that was a Superfund site you need to do a couple of things. One check the EPA status on the EPA website. It lists all the superfund sites both inactive and active. Then you need hire someone professional probably an Industrial Hygienist. THis person should do several things. One conduct an in depth property history. Two sample the soil and waterways. Three understand and be able to explain to you all the hazards that were or are present on property. You need to make sure that the EPA has certified the area as clean. Your insurance company will do a bunch of this stuff on their own. If you are lucky you won't have to do it yourself. If you have any more questions let me know and I will dig back in to my history and get you what you need. I can also probably find a couple of good Industrial Hygienists in your area.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, cool, thanks for the good info. Yes, it was pretty polluted, but I believe it's been cleaned up by the EPA. There are ground water testing wells scattered throughout the property, but according to all the records I could scavenge from public sites, it's been fairly clean for a few years.

It was a landfill from the 40's through the 80's, and in '81, was number 11 on the national priority list... The EPA took it to clean it up and supposedly finished capping it by 1989 or 90, after removing and re-compacting everything in it. It has plastic film capping over it, and looks absolutely immense in terraserver satellite photos. I would love to get it just to build a habitat to hunt on, but I wouldn't be able to plant anything that roots more than a few inches.

I haven't seen the site myself yet, and I'd read something about it being 40 feet high. 45 acres 40 feet higher than the rest of the surrounding land is pretty cool... Thanks for the info, I'll get in touch with you if I get that far in this particular pipe dream...:thumb:

RJ, I thought of shooting range already, but it's 60 acres... I could do decent a shooting range on 2 acres.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Well, do whatever YOU want and then put a shooting range on the side! Poophead!

Dirtbike track?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That's what I said! shooting range on two acres! Sensitive tonight, eh my friend?:)

7. Resurrection_Joe

Me and my friend subconsious are sensitive to the gun issue!

I dunno if it's a plus or minus, but some ranges restrict ammo so the ground doesn't get a lot of lead.

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Hey Ratch - it's not the Love Canal site is it? :yikes: Hee Hee !!

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Nope, it's called "Meyer's Landfill". Now that I let it out, someone else will steal my idea and make millions on it. :D :D

Why does "Love canal" sound familiar, though?

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Love Canal is up near Niagara Falls. It was (is) one of the worse environmental disasters (phuque-ups) of all time. Initially happened back in the 70's. Do a google - I'm sure you'll get a few hits.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This software sucks!!!!!! I just yped half a page and it somehow just lost it all.

Anyway... Nope, it's not the love canal, that is some scary stuff! Chemical's showing up in puddles in the neighborhood and kids coming back with burns after playing outside... No thanks!
    I have vague memories as a kid of seeing on the news, backhoes pulling out barrels from somewhere that looked residential, and it being a really big deal, then around that time "toxic waste dump" being a buzzword. I wonder if that's what I was seeing. I think I even remember an episode of Knight Rider being about toxic waste barrels being found on private property or something...lol, cause we all know hollywood gets the facts right...

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The place he is looking at is near my hometown in PA. There are a lot of dump sites around that part of PA. There is a large one about 1/4 mile from my house and there is a property my parents are trying to buy that is an old dump site. Maybe I should get you in contact with my dad Ratch, he can tell you what he has done in trying to buy that land. We are looking residential so the perk is pretty important. As of last they needed to cover the site in top soil and give it a few years.

You should open a fab shop and rock garden there ;) I'm gonna need a job after school afterall.

13. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I went four wheeling in a SuperFund site once. Didn't know that until afterwards, but of course I had been surfing earlier that day and was wearing boardshorts and sandals. Benzene was apparently the most prevalent chemical there. Yea, so I was walking around barefoot for 8 hours (we got hella stuck - wasn't my truck though, F-150 on 35s) in a big benzene mud hole. It actually dried the skin on my feet out and the outer layer or so cracked. Not fun stuff to play around with. I'm not dead yet, but I'm sure I'll pay for it later on. :blush:

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I didn't know you were serious... Did I send you the raw tax info on this place? Let me know if I didn't, I'll dig it back up and pass it to you. I was going to drive over there last weekend, but got discouraged hearing it was a landfill... Now I'm re-encouraged about it after reading about some landfill's people have built over.

TheZentree, that's the worst chemical I'd read about, benzene. Hopefully your exposure wasn't enough to have long term effects.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

serious about the dump property we have looked at? yep, likely won't get it, mom informed me dad has his realtor(has bought investment properties as I mentioned) looking for a new house for us. We've outgrown where we are, both in living space and garage :D

No you didn't send me the tax stuff, just told me about the land and all.