Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone from Alaska

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dbltapp, Nov 20, 2002.

1. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of going up to anchorage when i get out of the navy in 14mo, and wanted some info. My wife is all for this, she even wants her own SUB or Tahoe now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I am probabling going into the coast guard, so work shouldn't be a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i lived on adak ( island in the chain ). it was beautiful
    and fresh. very cold and windy most of the time . the temp.
    got up to 60 during the summer. peaceful. houses were built on rolling system becouse of the earthquakes all the time.
    98% of them you couldnt feel though. this was many years
    ago , so i do not know how much it has changed. i am sure you wife will like the scenery, but you better have a heated garage , becouse wrenching in the cold stinks.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my aunt lives 40mi outside of anchorage and i went there this summer, it's an awesome place i'd definetly go if i were in your situation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Yep, im from there..... Was born there, lived there for a short time, and have been back every summer since. (well almost every summer) My dad lives up there still, as well as many good friends. Lemme know what you have in mind for up there and i can surely help you out.
    tori89 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

Thanx for all the replys! I wanted to know what the rental market is like, and the average cost of buying a house. We want to be close enough to the city, but at least 15min out. Also my wife wants to know what the seasons are like. Thanx /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Hey Richard, We used to live in Eagle River, which is about 10 miles outside of Anchorage to the north. Its a perfect place to live. Anchorage is BIG. With all the amenities of a typical large city, so living outside of it there is perfect. I even have someone there that can provide you with a rental apt. if needed. Call their chamber of commerce, or the newspaper and get the paper mailed to you for a week. That will give you lots of info.
    Seasons should be just about what you get in Rhode Island. Summer time is great with the midnite sun and all. You never have to come indoors /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Winter is not so bad anymore, not anywhere near what it used to be like 15 years ago. But there are a couple months outta the winter where you dont have much daylight. Thats kinda wierd, but it passes. There is an endless amount of outdoor activities, the people are the greatest, and live is very simple there. Cost of living is a bit higher, and so are general goods, but the pay is increased to match. Lemme know what else i can do for you. Talk to you later. TORI

7. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

Thanx tori89K5, that is good info. Noe I just have to make everything else work so i can get out there. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif