Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone from Northwest Florida?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudbog42, Oct 17, 2006.

1. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Anybody from northwest florida :ears: (Eglin AFB, Ft. Walton Bch, Destin, etc.)(about 40 miles east of Pensacola):D know of any good places to wheel out here? :D

These same old trails I keep going on are weak :whistle: and don't know where the good places are out here yet since I have'nt been out here long:saweet: :k5:

2. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

Ever been wheeling over in Navarre?Better yet,where have you been around here and what kind of terrain are you looking for?

3. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

No I've only been through Navarre like once, and so far I've only wheeled out here on the range outside of the base. I'm just looking for some good challenging trails and maybe some mud to get a little dirty in.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. destinbeachman

Some good stuff out there.I'll be done working for the season in about 3 weeks and I'm gonna take a month or so off and will be looking to get some wheelin time in.What kind of rig do you have?-Allen

6. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

86 K-5 350/700r

7. destinbeachman

Plenty of sandy trails down to the bay,some steep,heavily rutted,hard-pack clay(skid plate's a good idea),the closer you get to the river,the more mud(the black bog type)there is.And Some power line roads that follow the hills up and down.All this in about three square miles in one spot.Some creek crosssings.Every time I go out there I see a few Jeeps following each other around,some trucks,sometimes families cooling off in a creek.Right off of Hwy 87.One of the better places to wheel around here.Casual.

8. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Where is 87 at from Eglin, is that in Navarre?

9. destinbeachman

Yeah.You'd head down Eglin Pkwy to 98 and then west to Navarre.Right on 87 and then up towards the second bridge.About 5 miles up 87.

10. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Sweet

I'll probably check that out this weekend:D :cool1:
    :saweet: :k5:

11. destinbeachman

Your turnoff is on the left about 1/4 mile before the second bridge.You'll probably have to hit the bridge and then turn back.As you pull off you'll see a small clay pit on your left and a clear-cut area to your right.Past the clay pit and up the hill runs the power line road.Over to the right will take you toward the river you turned back from and you can get screwed up really good in the mud down that way.Straight ahead as you come in a trail takes you into the woods and branches off in several directions.One of which takes you to the eastern shore of Escambia Bay.Real pretty place.Have fun.-Allen

12. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I came home (Niceville) before leaving for Korea and went to Pensicola with a few of the guys from here. The next day I went to the clay pit in Crestview. You can get away with running the powerlines in Crestview without getting hassled as well.

13. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

destinbeachman

Could you clarify the directions a little more, I went down there today but seen no clay pit just a bunch houses and the water is like right there on the left. Can you give me some land marks or streets its near or one that would tell me I've gone too far and passed it

I passed by a boat ramp on the left and went about 7 miles in from when I got on 87 but didn't see it

Thanks

14. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I will be in Pensacola in a couple months. Check out www.nwfl4x4.com

A buddy of mine referred me to that site and hopefully I can meet up with those guys and do something when I get there.

15. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

That is a great site! I have been looking for some of that information for a long time.:waytogo:

16. destinbeachman

The place I'm talking about is just before the second bridge on 87.If you didn't get to the second bridge you didn't go far enough.It's the last turnoff on the left before you get to the bridge.After the rain we got earlier this week it should be pretty gnarly in spots down toward the river.If you are needing a wingman(wingtruck?)give me a call @225-2428.-Allen

17. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

Yeah I definitetly passed the second bridge I think, are they just small bridges that go over the water?

I did find this trail though that took me to the water front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. destinbeachman

The first bridge is only about 50 yards or so long.The second is closer to half a mile or so.

19. mudbog42

mudbog42 1/2 ton status

I had to have passed it then because I went over two short bridges, about how far is it up from that boat ramp and what kind of cutoff is it, does it have a street name or is it just a dirt cutoff?

Do you know the trail that I went on by chance, if so was it passed the other one or before it?

20. destinbeachman

Can't remember if it has a sign or not.The first bridge crosses a narrow river and is very short.The second crosses a lot of flood plain and only a bit of actual river.The road narrows back down to 2 lanes and then runs at least 5 miles around a few turns and hills before you get to the bridge.You could probably pull it up on Mapquest.Matter of fact,I'll give that a try right now.All in all,it is about 15 minutes after you pull onto 87 and head north.