Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone get a shop quote on new valve seals?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Feb 26, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Just trying to get a ballpark figure on what a shop might want to replace valve seals on my '89 TBI 350.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Valve seals are pretty easy to replace, if you have any desire to learn how to work on engines it would be a pretty good way to start. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

3. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

All you would need are some $20 valve seals and $50 in tools (valve spring compressor and maybe a spark plug air coupling). If you have access to an air compressor the job would be a piece of cake.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Even without a compressor it's cake, just use some nylon rope and stuff it into the cylinder to hold the valves up. I replaced my valvesprings using that method and it worked like a champ. </font>

5. bowtiepower00

Yeah I've done it with and without, and it's not bad either way, I'm just an air tool whore... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

U beat me to it Shaggy.I've used the rope trick a couple times. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5thatShmobs

I know this is a common problem that many on here have delt with. I consider myself pretty mechanically able, so I wouldnt be afraid to try it myself as long as I had a good guide. At the present time I dont have access to an air compressor, but this rope idea sounds cool.

Can anyone recommend a good shop manual? Are Chiltons or Hayes any good with something like this?

8. bowtiepower00

I have both the Chiltons and the Haynes, and I prefer the Haynes. I just looked through em both, and the Haynes follows this procedure in much greater detail (complete with pics). You might want to go to your GM dealer and ask to see the GM service manual for your truck. If you like what you see, you may want to get the real deal. They are usually much more in depth than the others, but cost somewhere around $75. The hard part for me the first time I did this was setting the valves when I was finished.

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Oh good greif if you know how to turn a wrench do it at home.
    Air is nice I have all the gagets for that but the rope trick works just as well.
    Go to sears and get a valve spring comressor, some rope and a lil bit of time and save yourself some $$.
    As far as setting the valves .. just do a search and and ya will get the picture pretty fast on what that takes.
    Everyone has their own methods of doing it and 2 billion posts can't be wrong LOL
    Just pick which one makes sence to ya and go to town, aint nothin to it but to do it.
    If ya aint sure about something ya have that gaget called a puter and there will always be someone here to help if ya get to a point where ya need a lil help.

10. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

I bought a cheap valve spring compressor and used my compresssion guage hose, and replaced them (more like installed them) on my 84 in like 2 hours.
    Still not sure why I did this, just stops the oil from lubricating the valves.

11. bluboti

bluboti Registered Member

I checked the price at a couple of quality garages, thet want 400.00 to 600.00. So i'll deal with a little smoke at startup.

12. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Hell, if you wanna drive to canada ill do them for 50 bucks CANADIAN! it only takes an hour and you can usually get away with using your valve cover gaskets again. and i just used a broken spark plug and a quick connect and made my own air chuck for holding the valves up.

13. K5thatShmobs

This rope trick, how exactly do you do it?

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Get about 2" of 3/8'" nylone rope. roll the crank till it is down a bit and feed a bunch of the rope in to the spark plug hole.
    bring the piston up till it mashes the rope against the valves and walla.
    you can remove the springs and the valves will stay in place.
    remove the seal and install the new one. repeat on the next cylinder.
    tie a knot in the end of the rope so ya dont have to peel the head off to get the rope back.

15. K5thatShmobs

Just verifying... so, like you said, 2 inches of 3/8" rope? Only 2 inches?

16. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think he means 2 feet. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

James