Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone get almost to engulfed in stories?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, May 27, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I get on kicks of different stories and get sucked into them. I start a book I like, can't do much of anything else until I finish it. When I do something else(like go to school or work) my mind is on the task at hand and getting it done ASAP so I can go back to the story. The latest thing of course is the new X-Men movie. I want to go see it again now, haha. Thing before that was Firefly/Serenity. I bought the series and the movie and went on a bender watching them both from beginning to end. Next? Who knows. Some odd reason my mind attaches to these fanciful stories in a way I sometimes think borders on unhealthy, yet I don't dress up like my favorite characters and go to conventions so I guess its not nearly as bad as it could be, haha.

Am I the only one who has this happen? I mean, when I finish a book or a movie or show I really like, I feel a loss, sadness. Its over, now what?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I also do that. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is a good example...blazed through that in about a month :crazy:

It's weird what grabs my attention like that, the last thing was this Showtime series called "Dead like me". Caught a couple of re-runs of it...then kept missing it. So i went and bought both seasons on DVD. I watched it all in order from Pilot to end over a few nights. At that point i still had no idea it had been cancelled after two seasons. When I found that out I was pretty ticked off (and I'm not a TV watcher normally...)

Read a couple of books by Robert Heinlein a few years back...got all obsessive about it and the next few months i spent trolling used book shops looking for anything he ever wrote. Managed to find most everything he did write and read all of those...some I've read 5 and 6 times each.

So, yeah...I also dunno if it's 'normal' to get like that but I definitely do the same thing. FWIW, I got like that with CK5 when I first found it.

Rene

3. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hell yeah. My wife hates when I come home with a new book. Even worse is when I download a buttload of e-books. It can sure take up a lot of my time reading non stop. [​IMG]

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know wha tyou mean Rene, a portion of my life will always be incomplete. I LOVE the HBO series "Carnivale", and they cancelled it after 2 seasons, at a HUGE cliffhanger ending for the season. They said officially "we felt the final episode wrapped it up well enough and the story is concluded enough". **** THAT! They left i open for a huge war between good and evil ending with the creation of the nuclear bomb!!! How is that concluded? haha

Sometimes I almost feel a sense of relief when I miss a show or movie I want to see because I know I will become obsessive over it, haha.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

:haha: I was going to bring up the Dark Tower series as well! I just finished that last month. I love it.

Also might try the Dune series by Frank Herbert.

God forbid you ever pick up a Dragonlance book, that's such a cluster**** it's rediculous.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Oh, I'm pretty bad with that in everything, tunes, books, vehicles, etc...

I binge on stuff... I'll listen to the same CD for a week straight... L7 comes to mind, listen to them grrls daily...

books, hands down, The Elric series by Michael Moorecock.... The first 3 books are insanely good... There have been others, but that was some incredible storytelling...

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have kind of the same thing going on, in that I cannot stand to read or watch anythign without an ending. The more mindbearing fact I have though is, that everytime I watch something, it changes the storyline in my head for my stuff.

I'm in the middle of a Samurai Champloo run right now

8. tRustyK5

Music for me too...sometimes an entire CD and sometimes just a single song. Ironically it gets on my nerves when my kids used to watch the same movie over and over. At least i know where they get it from...

Oh yeah, my all time worst obsessive deal was Lethal Weapon II (don't ask why...i couldn't tell you) I swear I watched that movie over a hundred times...:blush:

Rene

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, i probably have 10 to 20 movies that i'll automatically surf back to if I see they're on and nothing new is on.. mostly action stuff... the first couple Terminators come to mind, Platoon, Scarface, Pulp Fiction, etc...

10. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm like too , if I miss even 10 mins of the start of a movie I won't watch it , even if I have seen it 20 times . When I used to read alot at night time would pass so fast it would be 1:00AM before I knew it and I have to get up at4:30AM so I had to cut that back .Thank god all I do is opsess about the truck now!!!Wow many books are there in the Dark Tower series? I think I read some of them years ago .

11. tRustyK5

7 books in the dark tower series...I think the last one was written in '03 or '04.

Rene

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't get me started on songs. At the moment the one I can't stop listening to, too often, is Rev 22:20 by Puscifier.

13. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I LOVE the Dark Tower series too, they are my all time favorite books (even more so than Lord of the Rings). I read the first one when I was 12 or 13 and quickly found the other 3 that were out at the time. I remember how wicked pissed I was that the most recent one at that time was written years ago and there was no sign the next ones would be coming out anytime soon.

Then Steven King got hit by a car. This lit a fire under his ass and he wrote the last 3, each of which I bought in hardback, and I am almost embarassed to say I bought the last one the day it came out. I wish I had time to start reading the series over again but after studying for many hours a day reading a book is the last thing I want to do.

14. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah the darktower was fun. The worst ones for me are the series with no end basically. I was hooked on the damn Dirk Pitt books by Clive Cussler. Just fun mindless entertainment. For more of the same I also liked The Deathlands series by James Axler. No deep thinking needed, just good mindless action crap.