Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone going to Big Dogs next weekend (Sept 15-17) - Virginia

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Sep 5, 2006.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Be prepared to recieve major body damage if you intend on taking your K5 through there, its not fullsize friendly...

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up...

Yeah, Ive heard that, but Im gonna stick to the lighter trails, cause I have never wheeled this thing since Ive done the work to it, and probably 2 years since Ive driven in a real offroad situation

My friend said they're rated by tire size, so, Ill probably stick to the 33" range, should be fun. Dont want to beat it up just yet.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

One of these days I will make it down there. Once you are there ask the guys running the show what trails to run to avoid to much damage.

5. daleearnhardt01

Well if you want to know any specifics about it my friend is good friends with the guys that put it on... When our club goes up we run high 6's and 7's... We have had to winch vehicles before and breakage does happen although the biggest tire in our group was 38s but some of the trucks had 35's and did fine.. Stick to a 4 or 5 Id say and you'll be fine, its just real tight thats the only thing you have to worry about, when they say they are meant for Jeep sized rigs they arent kidding.

Overall the trails are great, there is wheeling there for everybody from stock to absolutely insane. The guy that owns the Cove is kind of a tool so be aware of him, his name is Willis. The camping fees are kind of steep but thats my only complaint really.

If you break hardcore and cant get it off the trail Willis will bring his log skidder and yank your junk off the trail and he charges a lot of money for that.

Dont let all that scare ya, its a great time man. We usually go for the IceBreaker even in April...

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c59/daleearnhardt01/Big%20Dogs/

This is a high 7 trail I believe..
    [​IMG]
    This is a level 10 trail I believe that some of our guys ran...
    [​IMG]

6. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

I might be able to make it that weekend. i could meet you there.
    how do you get there ? i looked on the big dog website and it doesnt have any directions for the event.
    i did a mapquest from my house to gore, and its only 45 miles. but once i get to gore, i dont know where to go.

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I dont know either. I'll PM you before I leave. Im gonna be following my friends who have been there before.

I think were gonna be comin from the WV side down Rt. 28...

8. daleearnhardt01

Its not hard, when you take the turn off 50 you go about 1/2 mile or so past a little general store, you take another left.. Follow that long curvy road for a good while.. Then you take another left onto Cove Rd, its gravel. You will pass the Boy Scout Camp and go on down into the campground...