Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone gone/going through a divorce...I need advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoAngel, Jun 19, 2002.

1. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

I just got my credit report. The loan for the car that my ex-husband drives and still pays on still has my name attached to it. I was the co-signer at the time. Since we are legally divorced and he pays for and drives the car is there a way to get my name off? He's been late a few times with the payment and it looks bad for me.

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Been there done that. You need to go to the bank you have the loan through and get a form from them that states that you are being removed from the loan and your ex now has full responsibility. The bad part is I think you have to get him to sign it?? If the papers are still in the "negotiation phase" then you can stipulate that as part of the agreement. Then you put an add in the paper in the public announcements section that states that you are not responsible for any debt incurred by your ex as of a specific date (usually the day one of you moved out). That is what I had to do (she was running up bills in my name all over town!). You may want to consult your lawyer on it too. Soory to hear about the day-vorce /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif They're never any good.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

It will mostly depend on three things. 1) Your state laws 2) your divorce decree 3) the bank, which holds the loan. It may also depend on when you co-signed. Was it before you were married?

Your divorce decree will specify what he is responsible for. This should specify all debts (car loans, credit cards, personal loans etc.) and all investments (cars, house, stocks, etc.) Talk to the bank with the car loan.

If your divorce decree specifies that he is solely responsible for the car loan, then you should be able to send this divorce decree to the bank and get your name removed.

Depending on the bank with the loan, you will need to show them that he is responsible for his debts (as described by the courts in your divorce decree). Sometimes the bank will remove you, sometimes they won't. Ask the bank how they want this notification. Usually they want it via U.S. mail. I would get it Certified U.S. mail.

Good luck.
    TO

4. NoAngel

NoAngel 1/2 ton status

We are on good terms, so getting him to sign it won't be a problem. As far as the ad in the paper, do I go to the paper, court or city hall? BTW thanks!

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You'll need to talk to the bank. When you cosign a loan, you cosigned a loan. I don't think they care if you are married or not and yes, you'll have to have him sign to get your name off. Did you have to cosign inorder to get the credit for the loan? It might be the bank decides whether or not you can get off the loan /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Just take out an add in the paper, Oh yeah, I just remembered something, I had to place the add in THREE papers. Again, check with a lwayer. They aren't my favorite people, but like computers and work, they are a necessary evil sometimes. One more thing, keep a copy of the add from all 3 papers for yourself. It WILL come in handy in the future.

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I had to get all new loans when the name change thing came up. What a PITA!! Sucks to do all that.