Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone gone through STEP?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stock93, Apr 29, 2005.

1. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I'm looking at going through bmw's step technician training program. I'd like to hear from anyone that has had any experience with it.

Thanks,
    John

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Wish they had a STEP program in Colorado, I would have taken it. I work on my two older BMW's and I'm pretty good at it.

I can't tell you much about the program, but I've heard they have a HUGE job placement system once you complete the program. Also, BMW's are great to work on. They have the foresight to go "Hmmm... this may need replaced someday, let's make it easy to access!"

Good luck!

P.S. - If you take it I may have to harass you about certain little things with BMW's Motronic 1.1 fuel injection. :D I still need to figure out how to integrate it into a car that's more than a decade older than the system.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd love to do it but you have to have a perfectly clean driving record. Mine..... might as well burn my license as far as they care. Whats your experience or schooling? They don't just accept anyone into a STEP or similar program.

4. stock93

stock93 Registered Member

I have one year of shop experience and I have a 97 overall at Nashville Auto Diesel College w/ no time missed. I have a perfect driving record. I'm willing to relocate. I love german cars. I don't have much bmw experience. Mostly VW and Porsche. I currently have a 914. I've already passed their pretest and have had an interview with them. This is what I want to do as far as being a tech. I'm mainly asking for a heads up of anything I need to know that I wouldn't know until I have gone through the program.

John

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If I wanted to be a tech I'd definetally aim for STEP or some similar high end.

6. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

I didnt go through ptap (porsche equivilet to step) but I met some of the ptap guys and they seemed to be bettery then the adui accademy guys. Most of the audi guys wernt so good lots of theroy but dont know how to ifx ****. High end is the way to go though I love my job.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

As far as I remember being told...you take a test Out of 1,000 people, 50 or so will pass. After that, they do face-to-face interviews and select 5 to 20 to be shipped off to Florida to train for a year or so...then you go work on them. At least that's what a Wyotech rep told me...so it could be very wrong

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah don't believe much a Wyotech Rep tells you. Mine told me he'd be on my like flies on **** the entire time I was at school, I haven't seen the guy in 6 months.