Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone good at world civilizations (history)??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 87BrnRsd, Mar 6, 2007.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have a test tomorrow and I just cant seem to find the information for one qeustion on the study guide. Here is the question:

"What were the most important elements that united all Islamic states? Why was there a lack of unity between these states from 1500 to 1800?"

These are essay questions.:doah:

Thanks if anyone knows.
    -Harrison

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I would think that having a common religion would be a unifying factor. Also, pressure/domination from non-Islamic countries would unify them.

The concept of a "nation" was introduced by the Europeans. Prior to the Euro conquest of the Middle Eastern region, there were many small kingdoms, but few "nations". Persia is the only large entity that I can think of.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

America was founded and they united in hating us.

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help...all I could really think of to put down is the 5 pillars of islam. I guess if that question actually comes up on the test (the test is nothing but essay questions) i can do a good enough job b'sing to look like I know what im talking about and maybe score some descent points.
    -Harrison

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

The answer lies in the completion of the Great Crusades and the European invasion of the Middle East to purify the land from Islamic radicals and forceably Christianize the region. This was the last great European attempt to civilize the Middle East to Western Culture. It was only after centuries of Europen influence (Rome included) and attacks upon Arabia, that the Islamic/Arabic world united against the powers of the western world and began their Jihad against the West. It's been the same old story since Richard the Lionheart of England. Times have changed and the weaponry has changed, and so has the West's position, however, radical Islamic teachings keep the religious war going, both internally and aboard. Their position has not changed. It's their way or the hi-way.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot man.:bow:
    -Harrison

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait... when have all the Islamic states ever been united? One group or another conquering the rest of them and having an empire yes (Ottoman Empire, Persia etc).... but freely/willingly united? Never, that I have ever heard of.

Also, after watching how they treat each other for so long, I'm convinced that their hatred for each other is stronger than their hatred of the west. There are exceptions, of course... but if we can generalize things...yeah... they really really really hate each other. Sunnis vs Shiites, Persians vs Arabs, Islamic people who don't hate Jews and want them dead vs those that do etc etc. There are about billion Islamic people and about a million factions.

j

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

That's why I said they continue it internally and abroad. The islamic states can't agree with one another, fighting amongst themselves, (internal) and they fight what they perceive to common ground (abroad) but never get their act together. A house divided cannot stand.

Manny

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Don't forget that in that time period you first had the Ottoman Empire expanding and conquering Islamic and non-Islamic territory and then later the same Empire slowly falling apart as other Empires and forces took chunks back .

10. jekbrown

I dunno, I say we just bring back Vlad the Impaler... he knew how to deal with Islamic invaders.

j

11. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I just want Patton and Pershing back. What do you think Patton would do today?

12. jekbrown

deploy nukes.

j

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help guys. I just took the exam so now its over with. Luckily this question didnt come up and I was able to answer some other questions that I felt much more comfortable with.
    -Harrison

14. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

come on man earn your stripes.....

I forgot all that crap as soon as the test was over.