Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got a 400 & using TBI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Apr 28, 2002.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I want to put my 400 in my 88 w/TBI. Thought I could use a stock type cam and just bump the fuel pressure on the holley tbi unit. After reading some of the 383 posts it doesn't look like it will be that easy. If you got a 400 and tbi whats working for you?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run a 400 with the Holley 2DI and it works real good. I think the specs on it say that it can only support up to 275 horses I believe. My engine puts out closer to 350 horses. I end up running it lean on the dials. As for CFM I believe the Holley is exactly the same as the stock GM unit at 670 CFM. I always wondered if I was choking some of the power off and just didnt realize it untill I went through a season of Mud-Racing and placed in the top four in every race. So its good enough and it does run better than the Edelbrock Performer carb that I took off. I say put it on.

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My son is running a stock 77 400ci (rebuilt to stock) with a stock 89 350 TBI system. We put it together a couple of months ago. Runs very good. The exception is the Holly in-line fuel pump - it's failed and the place we bought it has said Holly has to tear it apart before they will warranty it - $125 poorly spent. I won't buy another Holly. We wait for the second week with the truck parked.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

send Frank (blazzinor) a pm he is running a 400 with tpi /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot, just don't want it to snowball into custom chip, map sensor, etc, etc, etc. BTW what cams are you using? The stock 350 one?