Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got a 8' cheater bar I can borrow?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Sep 4, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Anyone got a 8\' cheater bar I can borrow?

Seriously, whoever put my 14 bolt's yoke on was on steroids. I can't get the sucker off! I imagine if the axle was off the truck I could probably get it off, but my 2' cheater bar just isn't cutting the mustard. I've been soaking the nut with rust eater.
    Any suggestions?
    This is a big nut, 1 1/2". I even treid standing on the ratchet (I weigh 240 lb) and jumping up and down. I think I heard 30 years of rust laughing at me.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: Anyone got a 8\' cheater bar I can borrow?

If I need a cheater bar that long I usually pull the handle out of my floor jack and slide it over the ratchet or the breaker bar.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Funny you should mention that. I'm just now coming in from bending my jack handle from my hydraulic floor jack!
    I've tried heating it up with my dinky MAPP torch.
    I'm trying to figure out a way to fixate the yoke - I tried using a pry bar leveraged against the concrete, but it started digging into the concrete instead of just holding the yoke.
    Any more ideas?
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

4. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

have someone stand on the brakes, and put the rachet or and breaker bar on the nut. But your jack under the bar and jack it up to break the nut loose. It works, thats how I had to break mine loose the first time.

73 3/4 ton Chevy. 383 stroker, TH350, NP 205, 14bolt FF(Detroit), Dana 44(limited Slip), 6in. lift, 36x 14.5 super swampers

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

All I can say now is that is one tight nut. Good luck with it.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I know of one "not so recommended, but guys do it anyway" method - find you a piece of pipe a little longer than the distance between your pinion nut to the frame, and slip it between the frame and spring, with your breaker bar in place, then have a helper man the brakes, and give the truck a push. Usually it gives enough force to break it loose.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Sounds about how I do it.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. dnp89GMC

dnp89GMC Registered Member

Well, my .02 is to find a friend with a big tourch (or rent one) and heat up the nut until it is glowing red... then use the cheater bar and stand on it. to fixate the yoke, use a big pipe wrench and put a pipe on that if need be.

oh yeah... this may sound wierd, but try tightening it a little and then back it off... sometimes torque in the opposite direction will break the rust free and it's much easier to loosen.

Good luck

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree on the torch. RED HOT.ALMOST WHITE HOT! Then use air gun to get it off. Comes right off after that. Hint: Do not pick that nut up for a few days....

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!

10. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

did it on my 10 bolt with an impact lossen then tighten. do it several times until the locktite breaks loose It has lock tight on it cuz it only has 18 inch lbs of torque on the nut it is only holding the pinion snug and the locktite hold the nut on. don't forget to use it or the yoke WILL COME LOOSE in about 10 miles or less mine did on my camaro when I blew the rear in that

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Got the nut off!
    It took a combo of the torch, friend standing on brakes, and breaker bar.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Now that the nut is off, I can't get the yoke itself to come forward and off the pinion!
    The only thing that was holding it on was the nut, right? I used a 2-ton puller and all I managed to do was bend the flange! The yoke splines are still firmly gripping the pinion splines.
    This is turning into a major PITA. What do I use to get the yoke off now???
    -- Mike

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Tx,
    When you find out, let me know. I'll be swapping out my yoke on my front D60 next spring. To my understanding, all it is held in by is that large nut. (1 5/16" I believe)
    Actually, I have the 1350 yoke for my D60 sitting in the garage, and it looks like the only thing that can hold it in place is the nut.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

13. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, just the nut. My yoke practically fell out when I took that nut off. Mine's a dana 70 though, may be slightly different but I doubt it, in terms of how the yoke is held on anyway.

I don't think so, therefore I'm probably not.

14. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

if your front drive shaft was hooked up you could have put it in 4-LO with a breaker bar on the nut and drove a little bit.. several times ive used the same sort of idea to get the crank/harmonic balancer nut off... but not usually on cars that I car about :) .. just recently I was working on a nissan v6 automatic and there was no way to hold the pulley on the crank so i just turn the motor over with the breaker bar tight against the frame or something (or was it the fender haha) anyway glad you got it off..

mike

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have done this many times. I will never do it any other way but the following:

1. Use large, powerful impact wrench to remove it
    2. Use a puller to get it off the pinion
    3. Replace seal
    4. Reinstall yoke or replace
    5. Use tons of red locktite
    6. Tighten carefully

Without the puller or the huge impact I won't even attempt it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

16. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Tim -
    WHat kind of puller are you using?
    3 jaw, 2 jaw, the kind that looks like a flat bar and you bolt it to the yoke...?
    Like I said, my 2-ton 3-jaw puller just bent the flamges of my 14bolt's yoke and didn't pull it off at all. I'm starting to wonder if I somehow got the yoke cocked a little bit and it's jammed.
    I plan to knock it back a little with my BFH and then see if I can use a puller to bring it forward.
    -- Mike

17. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

84', do you have a 3/4" impact wrench? I use to have one, but returned it a while back thinking I would never need it anyway. Thing had a lot of torque....like 760lb of reverse or something....too freakin strong (which is what I like!!)
    Anyhow, if not, I didn't know they make 1 5/16" sockets for 1/2" ratchets or impacts. If they do, I need to find one.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Try "tapping" the yoke on all sides to break it loose. Dont beat the $hit out of it but if you keep working it from all sides it will come off.

tRustyk5 for President!!![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

19. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Craftsman makes a 1 5/16 chromie 1/2" drive socket.

As for reinstalling the nut, on a crush sleeve rear end you are generally supposed to mark where the nut is before you remove it and put it back in the same place.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

20. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Snap-On makes a 1 5/16" impact socket for ½ drive. P/N IM420. I paid $20 something for it about a year ago.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>