Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got a 90-95 Chevy with a 5.7?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, May 3, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

Does anyone here have a 90-95 Chevy truck with a 350 in it? I'm needing a few serpentine bracket pics. I had some 4.3 brackets on my truck, but didn't feel my pass side bracket was solid enough to hold up. However, I've been looking at ebay etc, and I think the 90-95 brackets may be exactly what I am needing.

However, before I go buy anything, I'd love to see a few pictures of them bolted up to an engine as there are a few things I need to know.

First is how high the belt sits when everything is installed. My TPI throttle body sits about 5 inchs above the intake to block making line, and the belt, nor anything else can sit higher than that.

Second is how the pass side bracket bolts up. In the pictures I've seen online, the bracket bolts into two or three holes up tops in the head, then the two bolt holes down by the bottom of the block. If thats the case, that'd be absolutely perfect as I have the top two holes, and the bottom hole, but not the third one up top.

Third is how the tensioner is run. I need to know if I am going to have tensioner to air intake / throttle body clearance issues. From the center of the throttle body, I can't have the tensioner sit closer than 4.5 inches from the center of the water pump shaft.

Here is a pic of what I'm needing:

[​IMG]

Thanks guys!

Russ

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

the brackets off the trucks will not fit with TPI, the picture you have looks like the brackets off of a TPI engine, the TBI engines have the tensonor placed farther to the drivers side which gets in the way of the throttle body, i have a set of the 90-95 brackets and they would nto have worked with my TPI i used ones off a F-body like pictures above

3. Russell

Too bad =/

I'm trying to figure out what I'm gonna do with my truck's engine accessories.

First thought was to try and get a short waterpump, and a set of 67-72 Chevy engine accessory brackets. But they put the alternator way out on the driver's side, which is rather ugly if you ask me, not to mention tough to find!

How did you run your engine accessories?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

older 350s don't have the 3rd bolt hole up on the head. I ran my 89s serpentine brackets(which had the 3 upper holes and 2 lower) but I only ran 2 uppers. Plenty of people do and have. I put something like 10k on the truck like that.

5. 1979jimmy350

i used the serp brackets off a F-body that came with TPI

6. Russell

Hmm, those TPI serp brackets are pretty uncommon. I can't find anything, cept from a local third gen only yard, but he wants 900 bucks for the whole setup, used :eek:

The 89 would would be fine, but the throttle body hits the big bracket, so it has to be a two peice aluminum setup.

7. 1979jimmy350

try thirdgen.org i think i have seen them on there for pretty cheap before, i go tlucky mine came with my TPI setup for 300 total

8. 88-383

88-383 1/2 ton status

9. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

10. Russell

yeah, those will definitely strike the throttle body.

Do the TPI brackets use more than just the bolts on the heads like the TBI setups do? Are the 3rd Gen TBI serp setups the same at the TPI setups?

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you dead set on running serpentine?

I'm running the semi-serpentine off a later Monte Carlo ('86 or '87 IIRC) and of course it works fine. Really not much different than all V-belts in components and routing, but I had access to the engine and all accessories, as we all know how far you get trying to mix and match pulleys from different applications.

12. Russell

Nope, far from it Dorian! If anything, I'd perfer V-belt, but it seems it will cost me as much as running serpentine. My only reason for wanting serp at the moment is saving me from needing a new water pump...

Love to retain cooling and PS if I were to snap an alternator belt, or cooling and alt if I were to loose the PS belt, but I guess, throwing a serpentine belt isn't all that common if they fit right.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've only had one fail catasrtophically. It just blew apart on the freeway. The real beotch was getting all of the remnants unwound from the water pump, etc. :mad: I now buy ONLY the Goodyear Gatorback belts.

I've had another get ruined by a siezed idler pulley, but amazingly it failed close to home and didn't come apart. My wife came in and mumbled something about "the truck is making a funny noise". :rolleyes: The plastic idler pulley was melted, as was the belt. The belt was about 1/2 inch wide. The rest of it was in thousands of pieces scattered under the hood.

My first negative experience was with an alternator that siezed without warning. The belt was smoking... I had to remove the belt and drive to town with nothing working. Luckily I was UP-hill from Silverton, Colorado at the time and was able to coast most of the way so the engine didn't overheat.

14. Russell

Probally just carry a spare belt behind the seat... I'm gonna call around a bit and see if I can't find some of those serp belt brackets somewhere

15. 1979jimmy350

you might want to check out the brackets used on astro vans, they are different than the ones used on the 5.7, i have a set laying around that i could check to see if they fit with TPI, but i won't be able to chech until next sat when i am home

16. Russell

The Astro Van brackets would work if I had the proper number of accessory holes on my heads. If I'm gonna run serpentine, I need something that is going to use the bottom holes as well, and run a driver's side alternator.

I've got a line on a set of serp brackets from an 88 GTA, so I may be good to go with just using stock TPI brackets.

17. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

If your running a tpi setup, I would get tpi brackets. Thirgen.org has classifieds and there are 3 or 4 sets of serp brackets for sale. Why would you want to run V-belts? I hated em on my 71 and every other car I owned. I carry a spare belt, tie wrapped under the hood. All I need is a ratchet to put it on, which I always have carried one of the smaller craftsman tool sets in everything I owned. Oh, and Gatorback belts RULE!!! I have a 1998 Crown vic that always squeeled the belt on full throttle shifts until I got the gatorback.

18. Russell

I wound up finding and installing a set of TPI brackets :) I'm very happy with them!