Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone got a Body Lift Write-up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Feb 21, 2003.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, got my 2" PA Body lift and new poly body mounts. Everyone says these are a piece of cake to put on and all. Step #3 on the instructions is to remove the front bumper, WTF for? Also it says to take all the bolts out of whatever piece you are on(bed, cab, etc.) and then to visually realign it when you put it back on. WHy wouldnt you just undo the bolts on one side do it then do the other? I mean i know you would loosen the bolts on the other so it could rotate but why would u remove em completely? Another question is i know on blazers they have a couple of the mounts with like a nut welded inside the floor so you cant get to it so no pneumatic tools. Are any of the pickup mounts like this? Any chance of spinning em? this is a 87 K/V20 btw. Finally if anyone knows of a writeup on it and wants to give it that would be appreciated. Suspension lift was easy compared to what these instructions make it look like. Thanks again.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I did my body lift in like 5hours on a saturday afternoon they are easy to do easier then a piece of cake just follow the directions like they say but i disagree with taken the bolts out like you said cuz when you lift one side up it could slide off and then youll be lookin at your frame /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif but before you tigthen the bodylift down just look to see that the bed and cab line up correctly and your done also make sure you undue any brake lines off the frame and your Transmission linkage needs to be loosend up and that your lower fan shroud is off. Ok the rest should be in the instructions /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Definitely don't remove all the bolts at once. If the body gets out of alignment, it would be a BOOGER to get back correct. As you said, loosen the bolts on one side and then remove those on the other side. Before lifting the body, be sure to inspect for enough slack in fuel hose filler(s), tranny linkage, e-brake cable, fan shroud, engine-cab wiring, and ground straps. Once you have the new bolts in place on one side, snug it up, but don't tighten. Wait 'til both sides are done for that.

I never removed my front bumper, but mine is an aftermarket one. There are two front bolts (at least on a K5) that are in the support channels on either side of your radiator. You may not be able to get on them very well without removing the bumper.

Remember those instructions are typically written quite generically. Use your common sense and you will probably be better off.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

K, thanks guys kinda what i figured, but the part about removing all the bolts just kinda blew me away.