Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone got a llink to Burb frame off resto pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bassmannh, Jul 6, 2004.

1. bassmannh

bassmannh Registered Member

I have a 91 burb with a bent frame from a hit in the right front wheel,You wouldnt believe it but it got hit so hard it snapped the steering stabilizer piston shaft, bent the right steering knuckle so bad it had 3" toe in!!!! also both spring shackles were bent one inch to the left, these were the stock shackles but in 91 the were 3/8" steel and the lower bolt is 9/16 x 5, (hd stuff), glad I wasnt behind the wheel when this happened. I bought the truck this way, I would like to get it back on the road, better yet the trails. I would like to get some info on frame off repair, straightening or replacement w/pics, any help or links greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Taking the whole body off of a Suburban would be a pretty huge undertaking. Before doing that, I'd take it to a shop that specializes in frame repairs. You'd be amazed at what they can do with some big chains and hydraulics. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I think Skratch and Muddytazz have experience in this area...

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

DOAH! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I read this twice before I remembered I did stick a new tub on my rig a few years back /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I must be loosing my mind.

There are some pics in my cardomain link below, any questions I'll try to answer as best I can.
    But I helped a shop in Iowa stick the tub on mine with fork lifts.
    I've seen guys use pallets stacked up next to the tub to slide it off the frame and then roll the new frame in next to it to reinstall.
    Pulling the tub really isn't that hard.
    As long as all the wiring is undone from the firewall, bodymounts and taillight wiring, fuel fill hose . . .
    If you have a couple of A fames and hoists you could lift it up off easily and roll the old frame out from under it.
    If I ever do it again (very possible) I'll either do it that way or go back to the shop I worked with in Iowa, for the money it was worth the drive.

It would be time consuming to swap all the driveline across to another good frame but if it's all good and the tub is too, I'd do it in a heartbeat. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Oh yeah, page two is most of the body swap, and since your a heavy truck mechanic, look at page 8 and see if you think you might be able to fix my rig that I wrecked. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Then fill in the rest of your profile so we know where you're at, maybe one of us is close enough to give ya a hand too.

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

onetonburb did a nice little swap very cool way to do it, don't have the link pm mabey